"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to toothbrushx2 Send a message via MSN to toothbrushx2 Send a message via Yahoo to toothbrushx2
Thanks DC Friends !!!

Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree with everyone about the quantities. i usually make 5 or 6 quarts of sauce at a time, and at most i will add no more than 2 small cans for the entire pot.
also, i only add it towards the end to be able to tell how much to add, using it as almost a thickener.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I saute onions and sometimes carrots to start a sauce then add the tomato paste and caramelize that a little. All three of these items will add a natural sweetness to the sauce to counteract tartness in the tomatos.

That way, I don't have to add sugar to the sauce.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to toothbrushx2 Send a message via MSN to toothbrushx2 Send a message via Yahoo to toothbrushx2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
If I used 2 cans of tomato paste, I couldn't unpucker for about a week.

The size of tomato paste cans most often seen here, are smaller than, let's say a small frozen juice container. It's very concentrated. I use it sparingly, and usualy have lots left over. Hope that helps.

BTW, welcome to DC.
hahha--that is funny. I laugh easily. Laughter keeps me health.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
That's a really nice looking recipe purrfectlydevine, roughly how much finished tomato sauce do you end up with?
First that 12 oz can tomato was supposed to be tomato paste. I think it makes about 6 or 7 quarts because we have it on rigatoni the day I make it and I never measure how much I use.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrushx2
The tomato paste was overpowering? What can I do differently?
I must admit that I'm at a total loss about in what way the tomato paste was "overpowering" - since you did not explain. Too much tomato flavor, too sweet, too thick, or something else?

You didn't give us the recipe you used so I took what little info you did give and I checked on the Southern Living recipes published recently and this is as near as I can get to something like what you described: Southern Living Spaghetti Sauce recipe.

If you could (a) tell us in what way the tomato paste was overpowering and, (b) what the ingredients were that you actually used ... then perhaps we could help your figure out a better solution.

I'm with you buckytom - when I make a pot-o-Italian gravy (usually in the 6-8 qt range) I only add 1 small can of tomato paste in the last 30-minutes of cooking if it needs it (to boost the tomato flavor or add a little thickening).
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #17
Master Chef

IMO that recipe is wierd. 24 ounces of tomato paste mixed with 8 cups of water, lots of canned diced tomatoes, onions and herbs?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Perhaps it depends if you like a thicker sauce or not, but personally I never use any tomato paste in my pasta sauce. I prefer the chunkier, juicier sauce, if you get the extra separated juicy part after the sauce is cooled, you can just mix it back in while reheat it, or use that juice to cover the baking form if you are making something like lasagne or cannelloni. I use either tomatoes from tin with its juice, or if in season well riped fresh tomatoes, and some passata, or tomato sauce added, it sort of thickens itself after it gets cooked for a while.
As a start I sautè minced onion, carrot and garlic (carrot is a great addition, instead of sugar, to "sweeten" the sauce), then add some red wine and a bayleaf, let it get absorbed then add the tomato stuff and herbs (if you use fresh basil, add them towards the end, its flavour gets killed when cooked too much...)... you just have to kinda taste it as you go and play with it until you acheive the flavour you go after, don't worry if you end up making too much, just freeze it!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrushx2
I followed the southern living recipe to make spaghetti sauce.
I used two cans of tomato paste as called for along with 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. The tomato paste was overpowering ? What can I do differently ?
This is the recipe I used:

1 pound ground beef
1 sm onion
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes--undrained and chopped
2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Old 12-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
cartwheelmac

Quote:
A spoonful of sugar in the sauce also helps to knock some of the edge of the stong/acidic flavour that tomato sauce can have.
Yep, yep, yep!

Cameron

Tags
None