"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to toothbrushx2 Send a message via MSN to toothbrushx2 Send a message via Yahoo to toothbrushx2
Arrow Spaghetti Sauce--tomato paste overpowering!!

I followed the southern living recipe to make spaghetti sauce.
I used two cans of tomato paste as called for along with 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. The tomato paste was overpowering ? What can I do differently ?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What else did the recipe call for? How big were the cans of tomato paste? Tomato pase is very concentrated and can have an overwhelming affect if used in too high a quantity. Two cans of store bought tomato sauce as a base for your tomato sauce sounds like a more common way to start a tomato or spaghetti sauce.

Personally I like to use an Italian product called "passata" to make the base of most of my tomato sauces, to this I often add a couple/few of tablespoons of tomato paste or sun dried tomato paste. I find that often the longer you cook a tomato sauce the "gentler" its flavour seems to become. (A spoonful of sugar in the sauce also helps to knock some of the edge of the stong/acidic flavour that tomato sauce can have.)

BTY, Welcome to DC toothbrushx2, I'm glad you've joined us here!!!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Here's what I do:
3 28 oz. cans tomato puree
2 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 12 oz. can tomato paste
1 tomato paste can of water to rinse out the cans(or amount needed)
2 ribs celery, each cut into 3 pieces
1 large onion, cut in chunks
1 soup bone
garlic
salt
olive oil in the bottom of the pot

Simmer 3-4 hours uncovered. Take out soup bone and celery. Crumble in 5 pounds or uncooked very lean ground beef and oregano to taste. Simmer covered for another 1 to 2 hours.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
That's a really nice looking recipe purrfectlydevine, roughly how much finished tomato sauce do you end up with?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to toothbrushx2 Send a message via MSN to toothbrushx2 Send a message via Yahoo to toothbrushx2
Spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
Here's what I do:
3 28 oz. cans tomato puree
2 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 12 oz. can tomato
1 tomato paste can of water to rinse out the cans(or amount needed)
2 ribs celery, each cut into 3 pieces
1 large onion, cut in chunks
1 soup bone
garlic
salt
olive oil in the bottom of the pot

Simmer 3-4 hours uncovered. Take out soup bone and celery. Crumble in 5 pounds or uncooked very lean ground beef and oregano to taste. Simmer covered for another 1 to 2 hours.
Thank you !!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
What else did the recipe call for? How big were the cans of tomato paste? Tomato pase is very concentrated and can have an overwhelming affect if used in too high a quantity. Two cans of store bought tomato sauce as a base for your tomato sauce sounds like a more common way to start a tomato or spaghetti sauce.

Personally I like to use an Italian product called "passata" to make the base of most of my tomato sauces, to this I often add a couple/few of tablespoons of tomato paste or sun dried tomato paste. I find that often the longer you cook a tomato sauce the "gentler" its flavour seems to become. (A spoonful of sugar in the sauce also helps to knock some of the edge of the stong/acidic flavour that tomato sauce can have.)

BTY, Welcome to DC toothbrushx2, I'm glad you've joined us here!!!
I will try adding sugar next time I prepare the sauce.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm guessing it's a misprint. For 28 oz of tomatoes/sauce, it might be 2 tbls tomato paste - or 1/2 a can -- a very small can of tomato paste.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

I agree with Mish -- that must be a misprint for that quantity of tomatoes. And I also agree that 2T would be a good starting point. Half a can would be maybe 5T.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

If I used 2 cans of tomato paste, I couldn't unpucker for about a week.

The size of tomato paste cans most often seen here, are smaller than, let's say a small frozen juice container. It's very concentrated. I use it sparingly, and usualy have lots left over. Hope that helps.

BTW, welcome to DC.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
Everymom

I'm going to jump in and agree with both Mish and Jennyema. Likely that was a misprint. Fortunately, you can correct the sauce pretty easily if you still have it. Adding sugar, wine and some regular tomato sauce will thin it out to a better consistency and flavour for you, and then you will also have the bonus of having some sauce to freeze.

Tags
None