"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Juliev
What I have done in the past to make this kind of pizza.... I bought a jar of roasted red peppers... or you could roast your own. What I do in an apartment is just halve/seed red bell peppers and place them on the burners of my stove. If you don't have a gas stove, us your broiler. Remove the peppers when you see the skin is charred. Place in a paper bag to cool.. The steam inside the bag will make it a piece of cake to remove the skin. Place the roasted peppers in your blender or processor.. puree.. add some tobasco sauce and butter.. mix well, this will make a thicker sauce. If you use the jarred roasted peppers, drain well.
excellent idea, Juliev. probably provide more flavor than plain ole tomato paste too!

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #32
ty mudbug. I can't remember where I read idea, but I have been doing that for a couple years. I have also done this to make a good wing sauce too.... I love chicken wings.... If I didn't, I should be shipped out of state... lol! I live close to Buffalo, NY. The red peppers give it such a great different flavor.. instead of the ol' hot sauce and butter.

Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #33
So you basically just make a puree then add some butter (melted?) . Thats an idea...

What does roasting it do? Does it have any benefit or is that just 'the way' :)

Thanks for the info!
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #34
hiya will!!!! Roasting peppers give the peppers such a unique flavor.. don't really know how else to answer that... lol. Yes, after the peppers have cooled and you have removed the charred skin.. just puree in the blender/processor, then add melted butter and some tobasco (Frank's Hot Sauce, or whatever hot sauce you like).... mix until well blended. I don't have an exact recipe.. I just go by taste more than anything else. I have also added minced garlic before, for something different.

I just cook for myself, so I rarely follow an exact recipe. Most recipes are geared for a family or more than one person. I like to experiment.
Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #35
Head Chef
Will looks like this thread got long and you got some good suggestions.

I think the best thing to thicken the sauce up is to let it cook. The hot sauce has a good amount of liquid (in form of vinegar) that can be concentrated. So cook the hot sauce first. Once it thickens mix it with butter and cook it a bit more.

Spread it to the crust with a pastry brush (the thick kind). Keep adding as much as necessary (don't overload). The thicker sauce sticks better to the crust.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:34 AM   #36
Senior Cook
Great job Will !

pancake is offline   Reply With Quote