Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Recipe
By: Dave Drum
For those so inclined, here is a recipe for making your own sriracha hot sauce:

Fill a container half full with peeled garlic cloves. Fill the rest of the way with 2 (at least) habaneros and a mix of dried serrano and cayenne pods that have been stemmed but not seeded. Add 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt and fill the container (to cover chile pods and garlic) with 5% strength white vinegar. Cider vinegar or wine vinegar will work but will give you a different flavour.

As the chile pods re-hydrate top up the liquid with water or vinegar. After a few days to a week of steeping in the vinegar dump the whole mess into the food processor or blender and puree until a smooth, thick consistency is reached. If the mixture is too thick it may be thinned with vinegar or water.

The resulting sauce is tangy, quite garlicky and very tasty. Mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce (American catsup) it makes a very nice seafood cocktail sauce. Or it can serve as a salsa on tortilla chips. It's very versatile.

Luckytrim....

I do believe that you use this pretty regularly. :LOL: Even more so that I do or should!!!

i buy it on-line by the case............:pig:

gonna make my zippy corn chowder recipe during tomorrow's "blizzard".......and sriracha is the "zippy" part................:chef:

thanks for finding this, spicyfood! I'll pass on your link.
But I am going to make some of this soon!

I'm more a fan of Nam Prik Pow and other more vicious oriental chili pastes.

I cringe when I see someone using Sriracha in a Pad Thai...

Why?

True it's supposed to have dry chiles, but Sriracha tastes great in pad thai.

The vinegar completely disrupts the delicate balance of the Pad Thai itself.

Pad Thai is a very Yin-Yang dish - all the flavors in balance, sweet/sour, spicy/salty.

Throwing a vinegar-based hot sauce into it masks the delicate flavor of the tamarind and the fish sauce, because vinegar is both an acid and a salt component, and a very dominant one at that.

The vinegar completely disrupts the delicate balance of the Pad Thai itself.

Pad Thai is a very Yin-Yang dish - all the flavors in balance, sweet/sour, spicy/salty.

Throwing a vinegar-based hot sauce into it masks the delicate flavor of the tamarind and the fish sauce, because vinegar is both an acid and a salt component, and a very dominant one at that.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. Unless the cook is adding some outlandish amount of sriracha. I love fish sauce, but I'd never call its flavor "delicate"

Plus, an agile cook can easily adjust the other acidic components of the dish.

Not to mention that there are different kinds of sriracha, some more vinegar-based than others.

Well, YMMV.

I prefer the more naked hot sauces like Nam Prik Pow and Tia Chieu in Pad Thai, to get the requisite heat and flavor from the chilies and that nice garlicky finish, without any unnecessary flavor components that I have to compensate for later.

To me, the only acidic component in a Pad Thai should be the tamarind, and whatever lime you'd like to add once it's on your plate. I don't want to have to dial down the tamarind to balance against a relatively flavorless acid like white vinegar.

And, in the quantities used in traditional Pad Thai, the flavor of the fish sauce is very subtle and very delicate. I occasionally will use a Phillipino concoction known as Alamang Guisado (sauteed shrimp paste) instead of the dried shrimp just to bring it a touch more to the fore in the dish.

Sure, straight out of the bottle it stinks like old gym socks and can kill you with pure salt content, but we all know that's not how you serve it. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom