Stocks and glazes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WorseCookHere

Assistant Cook
Do most people make there own Stocks and glazes, or is there some high quality products that people like to buy? I find that I usually don't have the time or freezer space to have a bunch stored away.

Just wondering how others might handle their stocks and such

Thanks

Welcome to DC! :)

I make my own stocks and sauces but buy demi-glaces and such when the recipe calls for it.

I make a lot of my own, yet if I need a quick one, here's the only "not-from-scratch-chicken-stock" I like:

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]
farawayfoods_1932_2041249
[/FONT]

I make my own chicken stock not beef though. It's simple and I love the smell in the house. I even make stock out of the costco roasted chickens I buy.

I love to make my own stocks, but hardly ever do. I plan on doing it more often, but we will see if that really happens.

I use Kitchen Basics boxed stocks. They taste great, but are a little harder for me to find.

I also use Minors bases. Well actually so far I have only used the chicken base as that is all I have been able to find, but I am very happy with that product.

I actually prefer Swanson over Kitchen Basics. I buy them in the box - low sodium. Always have one in the fridge. When i make stock I do the ice cube freezer thing.

For me..Excellent stock is the "secret" ingredient in recipes that call for a stock.
There are some things I will not even attempt If I don't have the right stuff to make the stock..99% of the time we use home made...In a hurry for something quick...we do use one of the brands mentioned above.

I'd really like to make my own stocks... but i just dont have enough kitchen/storage space to make it an easy endeavor. Plus between work and school I don't really have the proper time its takes to sit and watch my stock simmer all day long.

I make my own roasted chicken stock, beef stock, and seafood stock. I used to live in a small apartment, so believe me, I understand about the space issue. Just take your finished stock, and reduce it to to about half, or more. Then pour the stock into ice cube trays and freeze. When I use stock, I drop two of my stock cubes into a measuring cup, and fill with hot water to the one-cup line, and I have a cup of stock.

Back
Top Bottom