Suggestions for Homemade BBQ sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Molasses is made from sugar, canned tomato sauce contains sugar too. But as they say, each to their own.
Your sauce sounds good.

I am aware of that. It would be difficult to obtain a processed food that did not contain some amount of sugar and salt. However, my preference is that a sauce to be served with meat should not be overtly sweet. I refuse to eat sweet and sour pork or anything described as "Hawaiian style". That is a preference, not a prejudice. I would not touch a glazed ham. Other tastes may find their reward elsewhere than my kitchen. To each his own.

I am aware of that. It would be difficult to obtain a processed food that did not contain some amount of sugar and salt. However, my preference is that a sauce to be served with meat should not be overtly sweet. I refuse to eat sweet and sour pork or anything described as "Hawaiian style". That is a preference, not a prejudice. I would not touch a glazed ham. Other tastes may find their reward elsewhere than my kitchen. To each his own.

Your choice of chilis is a little on the whimpy side for me. I'd keep the anchos, toss the New Mexico, replace with marisol, arbol and cascabel. You can toss the tomato sauce, more soaking liquid for the chilis and good beef stock. After all what Texan worth their Lone Star would ever put a tomato product on a great brisket and especially burnt ends?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sugar? Ketchup?? Pineapple??? Disgusting twaddle:glare: Sugar has no place in a barbecue sauce and ketchup has no place under my roof.

How's that condescending attitude working out for you? You sure know how to make a good first impression. Bet you've got a lot of friends. Welcome to DC.

Last edited:
Let's get back to the topic at hand. Anybody else have a Barbeque sauce recipe to share?

Your choice of chilis is a little on the whimpy side for me. I'd keep the anchos, toss the New Mexico, replace with marisol, arbol and cascabel. You can toss the tomato sauce, more soaking liquid for the chilis and good beef stock. After all what Texan worth their Lone Star would ever put a tomato product on a great brisket and especially burnt ends?:rolleyes:

I eat my chillies on the side, I have to small children that can't handle the heat. I usually serve pickled Jalapeno's and an assortment of homemade chilli sauces on the side for the grown ups and wimps.

One of my other BBQ sauces.....

1/2 cup of Ketchup
1/2 cup of peach chutney
1/4 cup of W/Sauce
1tsp of paprika
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of seasoning salt (aromat)
a few grind of black pepper
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of hot mustard
1/4 cup of coca cola or coke light.

Very interesting to put in the Peach Chutney, Snip:)

I'm getting so many ideas from all of you! It just occurred to me to perhaps saute some small cubed apples in whiskey and add those to my next mix. hmmmm!

Very interesting to put in the Peach Chutney, Snip:)

I'm getting so many ideas from all of you! It just occurred to me to perhaps saute some small cubed apples in whiskey and add those to my next mix. hmmmm!

Chutney adds a different kind of sweetness. More savoury in a way. It's very good in BBQ sauce and glazes. Whiskey's good too. I like adding Jack Daniels to mine :yum:

Speaking of chutney, I picked a jar of Indian chutney in the store and now do not know what to do with it. It is sweet and somewhat spicy. Any ideas?
Sorry for of topic, but I saw Snip, posted chutney as an ingredient and remembered that I need to ask about it.

Speaking of chutney, I picked a jar of Indian chutney in the store and now do not know what to do with it. It is sweet and somewhat spicy. Any ideas?
Sorry for of topic, but I saw Snip, posted chutney as an ingredient and remembered that I need to ask about it.
What kind of chutney is it Charlie?

I use chutney as a condiment. I put a blob on my plate and eat it with the meat or veg, sort of the way one uses mint jelly with lamb or cranberry sauce with poultry.

Most Indian Chutneys are used as a condiment with curries or breads and cheese. You can also add it to mayo dressing for macaroni or potato salad for a sweet and spicy twist.

I use three different recipes, one during cooking, a second for final glazing and presentation, and a third as a table sauce. These are professional recipes which I've never shared previously but I no longer compete or cook professionally so I hope others will enjoy them.

They're good basic recipes but feel free to modify them to your personal taste and ingredients on hand. I certainly do. In fact, I doubt I've ever made them exactly them same except by coincidence.

Mop for Pork Shoulder and Ribs :
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp course black pepper
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp oil
Hot sauce to taste

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Barbecue Glaze:
1 cup catchup
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp course black pepper
2 tsp salt
Hot sauce to taste

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add a little water if needed for desired consistency. When meat, chicken or ribs are done, apply glaze and continue cooking over medium low heat until the glaze begins to dry and gets sticky. Remove from heat and serve. Be careful not to burn the glaze.

BBQ Table Sauce:
1 bottle Hunt's Original BBQ Sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp sazon completa
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
[NOTE: For Honey/Mustard Sauce, before cooking add 1/4 cup each of honey and mustard.]

I'm a bit late to the post but I've been making this bbq sauce for years and it's is very similar to the ones you have already shared with one different ingredient, onion. There is something about them that we love in this sauce.
I use this on ribs and pulled pork and it really compliments the smokey flavors from the grill. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law.
Anyway:
1 onion chopped
enough oil (veggie or olive) to coat onions, maybe 1/2 cup
1 cup ketchup
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar
cayenne to taste

Sautee onions til translucent, add the rest of ingredients. I let the sauce reduce quite a bit. I don't know if that is really necessary but it seems to make it better to me.
I'll also throw in some of the rub I use on the ribs or pork butt sometimes.

For ribs, chops and chicken breasts,, my family likes the sweet, ketchup based sauce slathered on at the end. My recipe is similar to the other ones on here, but I also like to add ground cumin and ground coriander seed. A bit of liquor adds some depth also....rum, whiskey, brandy, etc....or anything else you might have sitting around the cabinet....

Try adding orange marmalade, or peach preserve.

Last edited:
First BBQ sauce I ever made, from the BH&G Junior Cookbook.

2/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup water
1 cup catsup
1 Tbs mustard

Mix together and Heat through.

...and again I say THANK YOU!

I am so happy with these lovely ideas! Finca's mop & sauce sound delightful!

You are all wonderful for your sugestions & you all get a gold star :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom