Suggestions for Homemade BBQ sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
This weekend, my bf and I made BBQ sauce, and might I say, it was pretty tasty for our first collaborative attempt. I will say, the addition of a local avocado honey was a delicious addition!

We didn't use a recipe, just our tastebud knowledge. He works as a BBQ grillmaster for a couple catering companies, but they each only use one sauce (made by their own recipes).

So, BF wants to start making various (completely homemade) BBQ sauces, and I thought I'd ask if any of you would want to share any of your expertise on the subject :chef:

This is the sauce we use in central New York for chicken barbecue.:yum:

Please give it a try and let me know how you like it.

[FONT=&quot]Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce/Finger Lakes Marinade Recipe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.

Recipe for Barbeque Sauce (enough for 10 halves):

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce, passed away at age 84 on March 13, 2006.[/FONT]

This is the sauce we use in central New York for chicken barbecue.:yum:

Please give it a try and let me know how you like it.

Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce/Finger Lakes Marinade Recipe
Developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.

Recipe for Barbeque Sauce (enough for 10 halves):

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce, passed away at age 84 on March 13, 2006.

Aunt Bea! So nice to see you again!

My favorite is one I ganked from an Emeril recipe for pulled pork sandwiches. It's basically 1:1 ratio of apple cider vinegar and ketchup, plus brown sugar, molasses, yellow mustard, cayenne pepper to taste, and salt. I usually mix the salt and sugar into the vinegar first, then add the rest once they dissolve. Once all is mixed, let flavors marry for a while and it's done. No cooking necessary.
It never lets me down. It's got a brighter, more acidic flavor than cooked sauces and I prefer it hands-down.

I only use the BBQ sauce in this recipe, never bothered with the rest. If you decide to try it, I recommend subbing cayenne pepper instead of pepper flakes in you want to use a squeeze bottle. I've always had trouble with the pepper flakes clogging the bottle.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...cole-slaw-and-fried-pickles-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
BBQ Sauce #1
1/4 cup tomato puree
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
a dash of mesquite liquid smoke
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1 tbs. honey
1/2 clove minced garlic
1 tbs. finely minced onion
2 tsp. chili powder

Heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Taste and adjust to what you like.

BBQ Sauce #2
1/2 cup honey
3 tbs prepared yellow mustard
Stir together and taste. Adjust as required.

BBQ Sauce #3
1 - 15 ounce can crushed pineapple, with juice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 onion, finely mined
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbs. soy sauce
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer, let simmer until you reach the syrup stage. Pour all ingredients into a blender/food processor and blend until smooth. Use as a sauce or glaze.

BBQ Sauce #4
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
Combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. This sauce is great with grilled seafood, chicken, pork, and ham.

This should give you some ideas of possible variations.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Thank you all!
I really appreciate the recipes!

AuntBea - that was so kind of you to share!

NoMayo - I love Emeril's recipes too - and it's so funny you mentioned the flakes - we'd used the mortar/pestle to grind red flakes yesterday, but after realizing the little buggers didn't want to be completely ground, it hit us that both of us like Cayenne better anyway, and did that switch. :)

LWotN: Thank you for ALL the ideas!
PS: (I still remember your famous pancakes from many years back :) )

I've got one I'll PM you, as I don't recall who to credit.
I'ts awesome stuff and fun to make, as it uses a lot of ingredients.

Attachments

• BBQ sauce ingredients.jpg
    BBQ sauce ingredients.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 321
hey Jkath,
this is one my son in law loves and we use it often.
we mix everything in a pan:yum:1/2 can and 1/2 cup of beer,molasses,chili sauce,1/4 cup mustard, 1 small onion chopped,Worcestershire salt and pepper. bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 10-12 min. if the sauce gets to thick for you add more beer.This can be stored in fridg for several weeks. makes several cups.
kades

I don't always make mine the same way but here's one of my recipes I wrote down. My family loved it.

3 tbsps of worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of tomato puree
2 tbsps of honey
1tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 cup of coca cola
1/2 tsp of hot english mustard
1/2 tsp of salt
a few grinds of black pepper

Aunt Bee - I can almost smell it cooking, I am from the Finger lakes (Cayuga Lake) and grew up on this sauce.
I however change it up sometimes by using half vingear and half lemon juice, add a crushed garlic clove,
I always have people say are you sure on the amount of salt, YES, you have to have that amount. I have tried less only because I ran out of salt once and it does make a difference. It is also best if you can marinate chicken at least and hour up to overnite.
If anyone has been to the New York State Fair and had Bakers chicken that is the same person who developed this sauce.
Im drooling.
I now have to go make some sauce and put chix to soak, make a potato salad and some baked beans - I am going to brush the snow off the grill and thats what is for supper tonight, The family is be very happy!!!

Sugar? Ketchup?? Pineapple??? Disgusting twaddle:glare: Sugar has no place in a barbecue sauce and ketchup has no place under my roof.

3 dried Ancho chilis these are large, black, & triangular
3 dried New Mexico chilis these are commonly found in ristras
2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. cumin
1 bay leaf
½ white onion
½ tsp. Mexican oregano
1 tbs. molasses
Black & cayenne pepper to taste
1 tbs olive oil
Remove the stem and seeds from the chilis. Tear into strips and reconstitute by placing in a measuring cup with ¼ cup water and microwave on high for four minutes. Let the mixture stand until ready for the final step. Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in the olive oil. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Warm the mixture in a covered pot on low heat. The mixture will be quite thick and a deep mahogany brown when finished. You will need a lid on the pot to contain splatters because it erupts like a volcano. This sauce does a terrific job of removing tarnish from copper. Serve with beef brisket, sausage links, and chicken that has been smoked (not flame broiled) on a slow fire made of live oak and pecan cordwood with indirect heat for several hours.

Sugar? Ketchup?? Pineapple??? Disgusting twaddle:glare: Sugar has no place in a barbecue sauce and ketchup has no place under my roof.

3 dried Ancho chilis these are large, black, & triangular
3 dried New Mexico chilis these are commonly found in ristras
2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. cumin
1 bay leaf
½ white onion
½ tsp. Mexican oregano
1 tbs. molasses
Black & cayenne pepper to taste
1 tbs olive oil
Remove the stem and seeds from the chilis. Tear into strips and reconstitute by placing in a measuring cup with ¼ cup water and microwave on high for four minutes. Let the mixture stand until ready for the final step. Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in the olive oil. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Warm the mixture in a covered pot on low heat. The mixture will be quite thick and a deep mahogany brown when finished. You will need a lid on the pot to contain splatters because it erupts like a volcano. This sauce does a terrific job of removing tarnish from copper. Serve with beef brisket, sausage links, and chicken that has been smoked (not flame broiled) on a slow fire made of live oak and pecan cordwood with indirect heat for several hours.

Molasses is made from sugar, canned tomato sauce contains sugar too. But as they say, each to their own.
Your sauce sounds good.

apparently manners don't belong under your roof (assuming you have one, don't you?) in an introductory post, either.

lol. just kiddin' with ya tex. i' ve been watchin' too many shows about them english people from a century ago.

jkath (good to see you here once again), i've been working on a chipotle pomegranate sauce that i'll have to write up and post here soon for you. hope things, your boys, and your cowboy are well.

AND AUNT BEA!!! (said in my best andy griffith voice) great to see you!

Last edited:
apparently manners don't belong under your roof (assuming you have one, don't you?) in an introductory post, either.

lol. just kiddin' with ya tex. i' ve been watchin' too many shows about them english people from a century ago.

jkath (good to see you here once again), i've been working on a chipotle pomegranate sauce that i'll have to write up and post here soon for you. hope things, your boys, and your cowboy are well.

AND AUNT BEA!!! (said in my best andy griffith voice) great to see you!

Not sure if I'd have been so kind. There are a great many varied and interesting taste profiles out there, each of them valid to someone. I don't mind fruity barbecue sauces. Some of the best I've had were while I was in the Philippines. There is a place under my roof for many differenet flavors. To assume that just because I may not like something, it is no good, is just a ridiculous assumption.

People from the Carolinas love their ribs, and bbq sauce. And yet, a Carolina native visitor to my cousin raved about my ribs, with were completely different from any she'd ever had.

Just as I think that maple syrup is about the best thing that can be put on pancakes, my wife can't stand the stuff. We are all different, and what is valid for me may not be for you, and vice-versa. But that doesn't make it drivle, or terrible.

It is insulting to call someone else's idea of something good "disgusting twadle". I've never had the sauce that our newbie gives a recipe for. It does look good. Too my DW, she would think it was disgusting. And to her, it would be. But I wouldn't say that to anyone. I believe we all have the right to our opinions. But I don't have the right to insult anyone, for any reason.

So, TropiConsul, please understand that your viewpoint isn't the only viewpoint on the planet. You may have wonderful recipes to share, and may must learn a few from the rest of us. DC is an uplifting, sciable place where everyone shares what they love, food, and the art/science of making it, and a few other things as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

BT my old friend (I can only say that cause I'm older than you)... I was waiting to hear from you! Good to see ya too. My boys are great - the little one's graduating high school in May and the 20 year old is going to school to be a mechanic. Cowboy is awesome - some day I hope to learn his grilling techniques. :D

TropiConsul - appreciate the thought (although I actually prefer a bit of sweetness, as I'd mentioned in my original post: I loved the local avocado honey we added... it was similar to molasses, plus there was also a small spoon of dark brown sugar.)

Snip: I was thinking the same thing

Back
Top Bottom