Sweet & Sour Sauce for Chicken Nuggets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Does anybody have a really good sweet & sour sauce that would be good with chicken nuggets as appetizers....have attached the recipe.

Chicken Nuggets

Ingredients
4 whole chicken breasts, boned and skinned (approximately 1.75 lbs)
3/4 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup butter (completely melted)

Cut each breast into nuggets approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Combine bread crumbs, cheese and seasonings in a plastic freezer bag. Dip nuggets into melted butter (if butter begins to cool and congeal, reheat slightly) and shake in crumb mixture. Place in single layer on baking sheets and freeze. When frozen, transfer to plastic freezer bags. To serve, place frozen nuggets on baking sheets and cook for 14 minutes at 400 degrees. Serve with sweet and sour sauce. Makes 80 nuggets

[FONT=Arial,Italic]
Sweet and Sour Sauce​

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
[/FONT]
In a small pan combine vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, water, sugar and salt, and boil for 2 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until desired thickness is reached. Remove from heat immediately and allow to cool.​

Here's another one for you!

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE

MIX TOGETHER:
1 (20) OUNCE CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
1/4 CUP CORNSTARCH
1 CUP WATER
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1/4 CUP CIDER VINEGAR
1/4 CUP SOY SAUCE
1/2 CUP GRENADINE
COOK UNTIL BUBBLY

KAYLINDA said:
Here's another one for you!

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE

MIX TOGETHER:
1 (20) OUNCE CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
1/4 CUP CORNSTARCH
1 CUP WATER
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1/4 CUP CIDER VINEGAR
1/4 CUP SOY SAUCE
1/2 CUP GRENADINE
COOK UNTIL BUBBLY

Kaylinda: Your sauce looks similar to my own pineapple sweet and soour sauce. Mine is more complex though, and also goes very well with many asian cuisines. Now don't get me wrong, by more complex, I simply mean that there are more flavors built in. And this doesn't necesarrily mean better. I can tell just by reading it that your sauce is a very good one. Here's my version:

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
This broth - based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas.
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute 2 cup lemon juice if used for seafood)
2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute 2 cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used)
1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used)
2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water
Combine ingredients in order. After adding brown sugar, taste. Sauce should be fairly sweet with the ginger and chicken flavors tickling, not stomping the taste buds. Add vinegar and taste again. Add more brown sugar or vinegar as needed. But be careful. It is much easier to add just a bit more of something than it’s to try to remove it, or compensate for a too strong flavor.
Mix the cornstarch and water together, and pour into the gently boiling sauce. Stir rapidly to distribute until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and cover.
Crushed pineapple is better for egg rolls, won tons, tempura coated items. Chunk pineapple is good with pork chops, ribs, chicken pieces, etc.

Just another recipe to add to your list. Hope you like it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You're going to make me have to go eeney, meeney, miney, mo aren't you? :) TY for the recipe.

Well I baked these with the sesame seeds and they are wonderful. I like them without any sauce at all, but if I had to have a sauce would be mustard. I think I will be making several different sauces where people can decide what they want and YES I will be making them for the reception.

I found one thing that will make the task easier. I had defrosted some of the chicken breasts and it ended up not being enough, so I pulled out some frozen chicken breasts and started slicing. The frozen ones were much easier to make cubes out of than the defrosted ones. :) Much neater, straighter slices.

Back
Top Bottom