Sweet chilli sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maharg

Assistant Cook
Looking for a recipie for sweet chilli sauce. I am very new to cooking real food so sorry if this question is a little simple!
Thanks in advance, Graham

I buy the Nam Pla brand of Thai sweet chili sauce but I am sure you can make it as well (just make a thick sugar syrup and add some roughly grinded arabol chilies to it along with some minced garlic and let it sit, it will not be identical to the bottle one but should work) I have made the version below numerous times and it comes out good.

White Vinegar (1/2 cup)
Finely Granulated Sugar (1/4 cup)
2 green chilis finely diced (super fine almost minced)
2 cloves of garlic super finely diced or minced
pinch of salt

Mix it all together and let it rest for an hour before using

You need to define what you mean by chili sauce--is this a hot paste made mostly of chilis, or a sweet, almost like ketchup, tomato-ey sauce for sandwhiches?

The Ball Blue Book has the ketchup-y recipe, and I will type it out for you, if that is what you want. (I use that recipe for a sweet/hot salsa, leaving out the cinnamon and cloves and adding more chilis.)

I also buy commercial brands. Now that Thai food is so popular, nearly all our regular supermarkets carry it in the Asian food section.

It's not tomatoey at all. More like the old-fashioned orange-colored "Chinese Duck Sauce" with crushed red chili flakes mixed in.

There are two kinds of "chili sauce"

The Heinz kind which is like ketchup or cocktail sauce that you put on top of meatloaf and the asian kind, which is entirely different.

2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup rice vinegar (not sweet)
1 Tbl sesame oil
1 Tbl Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
2 Tbl mirin
1/4 cup sugar

Boil all ingredients EXCEPT sugar for 5 inutes. Stir in sugar and simmer for another 5 minutes, until reduced & thickened. Let cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom