Sweet/savory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I've been in a "cooking rut", and wanted to try something new.

I was ready to make "Hawaiian Chicken", but we did something else with the chicken, so last night I made "Hawaiian Pork Chops".

This worked amazingly well. Though the sauce is sweet alone, with the pork, salty (soy), and onion flavors, it changes dramatically.

Have I been missing out on this "Sweet/ Savory" flavor combo all these years?

My Mom always made "sour/savory" dishes, like Pork Chops with Sauerkraut.

We do use a sweet BBQ sauce here in Texas, now that I think about it.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Have you ever had Thai food? The defining flavor is a balance of sweet (sugar), sour (lime or lemon), hot (chiles) and salty (fish sauce). Very delicious :)

Then there's sweet (pineapples and pineapple juice) and sour (vinegar) chicken or pork in Chinese cuisine. Also delicious when done right.

I understand the "rut" thing Eric... my rut is I just get in the loop of cooking the same recipes over and over and then before I realize it, I'm burnt out on the things I like most!

I have never been a big fan of sweet dinner items... like sweet sauces poured over veggies or meat, but lately I have found myself craving it at times. Like with BBQ as you mentioned. Or opting for Japanese or Chinese dishes with a sweet/savor sauce as opposed to the burn a whole in my stomache choices.

Sounds like your Pork Chops turned out really well!

I'm a huge fan of sweet/savory. I make a pork roast with a raspberry/chipotle glaze...the chipotle isn't a strong heat in it. Hawaiian pizza is another sweet/savory dish that I love. Slather a bit of honey on the crust and add your white cheese, pineapple, ham, and big chunks of spring onion.

I'm a huge fan of sweet/savory. I make a pork roast with a raspberry/chipotle glaze...the chipotle isn't a strong heat in it. Hawaiian pizza is another sweet/savory dish that I love. Slather a bit of honey on the crust and add your white cheese, pineapple, ham, and big chunks of spring onion.

Ooooh, I would love to have the recipe for the raspberry/chipotle glaze, KE.

mmmmmm Hawaiian Pizza.....
I think I may have to stop at Papa Murphy's tomorrow.....

could have sworn I posted here....

just look up Huli huli chicken...not as good when made at home, as it is best eaten after a long day in and around Hali'ewa, but still, makes me miss O'ahu.

The embarassing thing is, I used to think recipes like Pork Loin with Dried Cherry sauce , was just sort of silly...

Now I'm thinking that might be really good!

If anything about last night I might add would be some "heat" (spicy)

A local restaurant here serves a "Jezebell" sauce that I think is like Jelly and Horseradish....and is very good with Pork..

I Love this Board! and thanks all!

Tattrat, I think I used the Huli Huli recipe, and what I did with the Chicken was Good Weed's recipe for "Srirachi Chicken" which is very good.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

The embarassing thing is, I used to think recipes like Pork Loin with Dried Cherry sauce , was just sort of silly...

Now I'm thinking that might be really good!

If anything about last night I might add would be some "heat" (spicy)

A local restaurant here serves a "Jezebell" sauce that I think is like Jelly and Horseradish....and is very good with Pork..

I Love this Board! and thanks all!

Tattrat, I think I used the Huli Huli recipe, and what I did with the Chicken was Good Weed's recipe for "Srirachi Chicken" which is very good.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

This is great for parties: Make a sauce for meatballs from a jar of grape jelly and a bottle of chili sauce. YUM!

Back
Top Bottom