Taquera, Ranchera, Enchilada. What gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Taquera, Ranchera, Enchilada.

I'm not one to fuss over particulars and etiquette. I feel these sauces are pretty much interchangeable. According to Mexican foodies, am I right? Is it pretty much the same thing but just a matter of what regions it originated from? After doing a bit of research, the ingredients are basically the same, and I do realize that there are subtleties. Just the textures and uses seem to be a bit different. Anybody care to enlighten me?

Last edited:
Just think about how many arguments ensue on DC as to whether something is called "home fries", "cottage fries", "hash browns", etc.

I would guess that it's the same in Mexico. Same sauce, different name, depending on what part of the country you are in, or whether it contains this or that type of pepper.

Maybe we're all being too literal with things.

Last edited:
Just think about how many arguments ensue on DC as to whether something is called "home fries", "cottage fries", "hash browns", etc.

I would guess that it's the same in Mexico. Same sauce, different name, depending on what part of the country you are in, or whether it contains this or that type of pepper.

Maybe we're all being too literal with things.
This is what I was thinking. The other day I bought a few bottles of sauces by the same company, in the same bottles, just different names. They are all a bit different in color and texture, but from what I can see the ingredients are very similar. My knowledge of Mexican food is fairly limited. I know basic stuff, but not much more.

Where we go in Mexico, it's all salsa. I think different companies came up with different names in order to try and sound unique.

You say burro and I say burrito
You say taco and I say taquito.
Of course it's the same. Except when it's not.
Viva cerveza. Cha cha cha.

I'll bet there as many variations of "classic" green or red sauce as there are families in each state, village and city in Mexico!;) Some we will never get to try, unless you actually travel to that village, as there are chilis that grow wild and aren't commercially harvested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom