Tartar sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Tartar Sauce

I don't use fixed amounts of these ingredients. I guesstimate and taste as I go.

Obviously, there is more mayo than the other ingredients. Use small amounts of the other ingredients until texture and flavour are the way you want it.

• Mayonnaise
  • mustard (I prefer seedy Dijon)
  • relish or chopped pickles, use dill or sweet - your preference
  • minced onion (onion juice or onion powder would probably work too)
  • small capers or mince the big ones (optional)
  • small amount of lemon juice (lime would probably work too)

Mix all ingredients.

If you substitute catsup or tomato paste for the mustard, you get thousand island dressing. ;)

Tartar Sauce

I don't use fixed amounts of these ingredients. I guesstimate and taste as I go.

Obviously, there is more mayo than the other ingredients. Use small amounts of the other ingredients until texture and flavour are the way you want it.

• Mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients.

If you substitute catsup or tomato paste for the mustard, you get thousand island dressing. ;)

Mine is the same as yours, except I don't put capers in it, and do add tarragon.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This sounds so good, especially since any commercial version has sugar in it. We prefer salty/savory with our fish. This sounds so good I'm rethinking what I might have for dinner tonight. :ermm:

Tartar Sauce

• Mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients.

The only thing I do differently is that I start with homemade mayo.

Tartar Sauce

• Mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients.

Mine is about the same, if I don't have capers I chop some stuffed Spanish olives and toss them in.

The addition of some chopped fresh herbs, chopped green onions, lime or lemon zest/juice can create an updated version of the old standard, use what you find in the fridge. Whatever you do don't run out and buy a jar, just wing it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Nice recipe, hadn't thought if using capers.

I make mayo, add in drained, chopped garlic dills and then start whisking in fresh squeezed lemon juice until it's so tart it makes your hair curl.

Back
Top Bottom