"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks !

Usually,i say passion is nothing... if it's not share!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
Sous Chef

So you recommend sunflower oil over olive oil for making mayonnaise? Interesting...is it a lighter mayonnaise as a result? (I'm not talking calorie wise)

Old 01-13-2005, 03:45 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
So you recommend sunflower oil over olive oil for making mayonnaise? Interesting...is it a lighter mayonnaise as a result? (I'm not talking calorie wise)
Peanut oil works extra well also..........
Old 01-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorite kinds of french fries are always fried out in peanut oil, Brooksy. Adds that special something to the taste!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
My favorite kinds of french fries are always fried out in peanut oil, Brooksy. Adds that special something to the taste!
G'day Ms Muddy :)

Peanut oil is beaut, but expensive over here. Seems to work really well in many areas but rarely rates a mention.

Not having any sunflower oil (plenty of seeds), I tried Chef Cyril's mayo using the PO as a sub. Very delicate flavour as compared to EVOO.
Having said that, each time I've gone down town since I forgotten to get the Sunflower Oil.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

I use some basic ingredients and then alter depending on whether it is for chicken breast, turkey, pork or beef. Usually start with either soy sauce or orange juice as the base, and the other item as seasoning, i.e., 1/4 cup soy, 1 Tbs pf OJ, or the opposite; and if I am out of OJ I use honey; always garlic, ginger, onion or shallot, white wine or mirin, and sometimes lemon. If I am deglazing a pan I do with chicken broth and white vermouth. Then the herbs, my favorites and the ones I always use, but not always together are rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, marjoram, and occasionally basil and dill.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I use some basic ingredients and then alter depending on whether it is for chicken breast, turkey, pork or beef. Usually start with either soy sauce or orange juice as the base, and the other item as seasoning, i.e., 1/4 cup soy, 1 Tbs pf OJ, or the opposite; and if I am out of OJ I use honey; always garlic, ginger, onion or shallot, white wine or mirin, and sometimes lemon. If I am deglazing a pan I do with chicken broth and white vermouth. Then the herbs, my favorites and the ones I always use, but not always together are rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, marjoram, and occasionally basil and dill.
All my experiments turn out rubbish.
I need things written down & MDW behind me with a rolling pin to ensure I follow the directions fully, then the sauces turn out as they should. :oops:

Terribly jealous of those who can get it right .....

Dried chilli flakes (not too much) in your mayo & left over night is a good transgression. Makes it look interesting as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #18
Executive Chef

If you're going to make a sauce with oil (aiolis, emulsions, vinaigrettes, infusions, etc.), never use a strong flavored oil like Olive or Peanut, unless you WANT to taste that component. If the flavor that you're trying to feature is not the oil (i.e. flavored vinegars, herbs, garlic, ginger, spices, etc.), then the absolute best oil to use is Grapeseed Oil because it has almost no flavor on it's own. Sunflower oil is OK if you cannot find or afford a large quantity of Grapeseed Oil.

When matching your sauce to your food, always take into consideration the strength in flavor of both the sauce, and the main ingredient of the dish. If you want to make a reduction or butter sauce using say, Cassis, you wouldn't pair it with scallops because the fruityness and boldness of the cassis would just overpower the delicate flavor of the scallop. You would use the sauce with something like a Rack of Lamb, Grilled Venison, or Seared Duck Breast.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Thanks for the tips Ironchef.

Much appreciated. Gives me more to work with. Last mayo I made, DW turned her nose up at it. :oops:

I'll certainly give your tips a whirl.

Oils tried so far are: EVOO, olive, sunflower, peanut and canola. I have used macadamia in bread, I'll try a mayo out of that when I remember to buy some more, but not grapeseed.

Usually use Dijon Mustard & either white vinegar or lemon juice as well.

I may have used cider vinegar in the last one by mistake. :oops:

All suggestions gratefully accepted
Old 02-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #20
Executive Chef

If possible, just always use the most neutral flavored base ingredients as possible, and then add in your flavoring agents later to get the desired taste that you want.

Tags
None