"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Thai Style Sauce

Here's something I've been working on, pour it over a fried piece of fish, I like it with salmon.

It's not exactly where I want it yet, seems a little to sour, but I don't want to add sugar. Would palm sugar help this dish? Any recomendations would be welcome.

Please try it, it's quite a nice sauce and compliments fish nicely, especially white fish. But like I saide, on a thick salmos steak it's delicious.

This is my first time writing a recipe so be kind

Thai Style Sauce

Juice of 4 limes
1/4 Cup Water
1 cm Grated Ginger
[edited] 1 Cup chopped Corriander Leaves
1 Chili Finely Chopped, seeds removed
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tbsp extra water

Add lime juice and water to a pot on low to medium heat
Add Ginger, Chili, Corriander and bring to a gentle simmer slowly.
Season with salt and pepper as required. Beware, chili adds spice to this sauce, so not much pepper is required.

Mix cornflour and extra water in a container, mix well and add to pot.
Mix vigourously until thick.

Pour over a seared fillet of fish.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
A delicious new idea, especially for a grilled fish!! Do you mean coriander seeds, or coriander leaves here?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarrell
It's not exactly where I want it yet, seems a little to sour, but I don't want to add sugar. Would palm sugar help this dish? Any recomendations would be welcome.
With its creamy, caramel-like sweetness, palm sugar would probably work just fine, and would be an authentic addition as well. Another thing you could try is replacing the water with sweetened coconut milk. However, before adding sugar of any type, I might try Thai basil, or even finely minced carrots. All of these sweeten, and none would be out of place in a Thai dish.

Your recipe sounds delicious.

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Coconut milk would be a good idea. Even if it is not sweetened (I would prefer unsweetened myself...), the mild flavour of coconut will take the edge off the tartness of lime. Maybe reduce the amount of juice and add finely grated rinds will add the lime flavour without increasing the tartness, too. It will also enhance the colour.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Master Chef

Many Vietnamese recipes call for a carmel-type syrup made from sugar and water, cooked till light brown. Like simple syrup but with a deeper flavor. Palm sugar will also work but the above is made simply with white sugar. It's about a 4 parts to 1 sugar to water ratio, as I recall (but I am not 100% sure).

I would use a bit of that and definitely some fish sauce or soy sauce. What you are lacking, seems to me, is umami, which you'll get from a fermented product.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
A delicious new idea, especially for a grilled fish!! Do you mean coriander seeds, or coriander leaves here?
Oh Leaves sorry
Old 06-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Coconut milk would be a good idea. Even if it is not sweetened (I would prefer unsweetened myself...), the mild flavour of coconut will take the edge off the tartness of lime.
Great idea, I just wonder if it would turn my clear sauce into a creamy sauce though?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Many Vietnamese recipes call for a carmel-type syrup made from sugar and water, cooked till light brown.
Just reduce the water till it caramelizes on a pot?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
I might try Thai basil, or even finely minced carrots.
Mince carrots? hmm that sounds interesting, what is your suggestion to mince them?

Basil is my favorite herb, I just love it's aroma. What are the differences between Basil and Thai Basil?

I just worry that I would need loads of it to remove the tartness. But in saying that, I don't mind the tartness anyway. So maybe the mix of corriander and Thai basil might work just to tame it a little.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Maybe reduce the amount of juice and add finely grated rinds will add the lime flavour
Yeah I thought of that, Lime zezt is amazing and would give richness. But I would loose fluid, which I need as the cornflour thickens what fluid is there. Maybe I could add some as well as the juice, it wont get rid of the tartness, but would add a nice flavour. Thanks

Tags
None