"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Sous Chef

It looks tasty, but seems more like a modified Carbonara recipe with the addition of egg yolks.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I'm pretty amazed you guys don't add a small bit of fresh grated nutmeg to your alfredo sauces!

I don't have or follow any kind of recipe. Alfredo only has 3 ingredients plus spices and herbs. Mine goes like this:

Add cream, a tiny bit of fresh grated nutmeg, fresh ground white pepper to pan and reduce over medium heat until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add in unsalted butter and fresh parmigiano reggiano, whisking until melted. Bring to a quick simmer and remove from heat. Season with salt and check for flavor. I add in finely minced Italian parsley at the end, toss in pasta to coat and SERVE IN A WARM BOWL.

If you serve alfredo in a cold bowl you just served up a bowl of al-fail-do.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I'm pretty amazed you guys don't add a small bit of fresh grated nutmeg to your alfredo sauces!

I don't have or follow any kind of recipe. Alfredo only has 3 ingredients plus spices and herbs. Mine goes like this:

Add cream, a tiny bit of fresh grated nutmeg, fresh ground white pepper to pan and reduce over medium heat until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add in unsalted butter and fresh parmigiano reggiano, whisking until melted. Bring to a quick simmer and remove from heat. Season with salt and check for flavor. I add in finely minced Italian parsley at the end, toss in pasta to coat and SERVE IN A WARM BOWL.

If you serve alfredo in a cold bowl you just served up a bowl of al-fail-do.
This sounds very much like my recipe. I add a bit of minced parsley along the top for a bit of color or will use a spinach fettuccine. It's soo good with the nutmeg and fresh pepper.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
Mine is 3 simple ingredients for 1 pound of fettucini.

3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated parmasan cheese.

You can add whatever to it, especially fresh ground black pepper,
but that's the basic recipe.
Heat but not boil, til well blended and serve over/in pasta
Red pepper flakes are good in it also.
This is it! Simple basic and to the point. The only way to improve is to chose the best butter, cream and cheese then practice till you perfect your technique. Fresh dairy if you have one in the area and find a speciality cheese shop for the imported cheese.

Veritas vos liberabit
Dante1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Mine is simple too

4 thick slices of panchetta, diced and rendered
1/2 pint heavy cream
1/2 stick of butter
Garlic & onion powder to taste
S+P to taste
1/2 c. {roughly} Parma or Romano microplaned
Toasted garlic/EVOO breadcrumbs for topping.

Render out panchetta in saucepan {do not drain}, add cream, butter, garlic and onion powders, S+P, whisk on med until melted and slightly thickened, remove from heat, add cheese, whisk to combine. Toss in cooked pasta. Plate, topped with toasted garlic/EVOO bread crumbs.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

You guys are all going to cause my ruination! Alfredo sauce is one of my true addictions. I could almost bathe in it.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Mine is 3 simple ingredients for 1 pound of fettucini.

3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated parmasan cheese.

You can add whatever to it, especially fresh ground black pepper,
but that's the basic recipe.
Heat but not boil, til well blended and serve over/in pasta
Red pepper flakes are good in it also.
That has always been my understanding of the original recipe created by Chef Alfredo in Italy. That doesn't say you can't change it and make it your own. But for me this recipe is perfection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fettuccine_alfredo
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

A quick, good & easy alfredo for meis heavy whipping cream thickened with a little arrowroot & seasoned heavily with garlic & bay leaves. Grated hard white cheese is always good added to it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
My goal is to find a better recipe than I posted. I figured with a "cocky" title would greatly increase the odds of people viewing this, thus potentially reaching my goal. If you have a recipe you consider THE BEST, try my recipe, post your honest opinion and if you think yours is better, post it up and I'll probably give it a try and give you my honest opinion.

1c heavy cream or whipping cream (depends where you live)...
Half stick of butter (1/2c)
4oz of aseigo cheese, FRESHLY finely shredded...
1 med-large clove of garlic...Finely shredded via microplane or finest setting of grater...
1/2teaspoon of table salt
1teaspoon of pepper (white if you got it)
2 tablespoons of flour (cake flour if you got it)

Put the cream and butter in a pan and put on medium heat...Use a probe thermometer and once the mixture reaches 185f, add all other ingredients except the flour - add cheese, garlic, salt and pepper...Whisk until cheese is melted...Once cheese is fully melted, add flour, stilling whisking for a few seconds and you're done! :D
A cup of cream, 1/2 stick of butter ans asiago cheese...how could this not be a great meal?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I prefer not to use the flour for thickening. I think it affects the taste of the of other ingredients. There should be enough cheese to thicken the cream. You would have to softly simmer the liquid for the flour to thicken the liquid and cook the flour taste out. And in doing so it will reduce the amount of cream through reduction. So why not just simmer it without the flour.

Tags
None