The key to great teriyaki sauce....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
is to add a tone of sugar. just when you think its enough add some more then taste it, you cant add too much. for you carb counters out there ive used splenda with good results. just add some pepper flakes and you have a korean BBQ sauce.

Ok, I have the sugar in the bowl. Then I added more. Then I added pepper flakes. It doesn't look right, it looks like sugar with pepper flakes on it.

I think I missed part of the recipe.

Typically, Teryaki Sauce is a combination of liquids and dry ingredients that include good soy sauce, brown sugar/white sugar, onion, choppped bell pepper and hot peppers, and garlic. I also like to add Sriracha Sauce and some Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, and black pepper.

I start with the soy and brown sugar. I then add and taste with the other ingredients until I get the flavor I'm looking for.

Other people make it with soy sauce, vinager, white sugar, and garlic. And I'm sure that you will find other recipes from people in DC.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yep, i use soy sauce, powdered garlic, sesame seed oil, liquid smoke and SUGAR. sometimes i'll mince up some green onions with the mix and finish by throwing sesame seeds on the finished product.

Now we're talkin here! I LOVE teryaki but it has been a mystery to me. Partially because I have never thought about making it myself. Of course once I saw the title of this thread I was like "Oh HECK YEAH!".

bigdaddy, I do brown sugar, good soy sauce, garlic and either a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice. Just keep on tasting till it seems right.

Sorry but real Teriyaki sauce and Korean BBQ marinade are not the same thing. Similar but not the same.

The times I have been in Japan I never had Teriyaki that tasted like Korean BBQ.

The times I have been in Korea I never had BBQ that tasted like Teriyaki.

Both are soy sauce based.

Teriyaki sauce gets most of it flavor from Sake / mirin and is rounded out with sugar.

Korean BBQ marinade tends to get its flavor from garlic, onion, sesame oil or seeds, brown sugar and or fruit (apple or pear).

My favorite Teriyaki sauce recipe come from Japanese home cooking by Tokiko Suzuki. It has Sake, Sugar, Mirin and soy sauce. I then add a hint of garlic.

Well then, I guess what I've been making all these years is Korean BBQ. I don't use alcohol in anything that is to be ingested. It's personal choice thing. So that means I won't be using Saki or Mirin. But that's Ok, 'cause what I make tastes great. And that's all I'm looking for.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

sugar sugar sugar

its best to add sugar when soy sauce, mirin etc is hot add alot (browns the best) strirring constantly.. brown sugar thickens mixture

Well then, I guess what I've been making all these years is Korean BBQ. I don't use alcohol in anything that is to be ingested. It's personal choice thing. So that means I won't be using Saki or Mirin. But that's Ok, 'cause what I make tastes great. And that's all I'm looking for.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

For anyone who does not want or can not consume alcohol. I agree don't use it in cooking. I see a lot of debate about how much is left after cooking. I don't agree that it all gets cooked off. How much is left? Without a lab test who knows.

Back
Top Bottom