"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Senior Cook

The key to great teriyaki sauce....

is to add a tone of sugar. just when you think its enough add some more then taste it, you cant add too much. for you carb counters out there ive used splenda with good results. just add some pepper flakes and you have a korean BBQ sauce.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

Ok, I have the sugar in the bowl. Then I added more. Then I added pepper flakes. It doesn't look right, it looks like sugar with pepper flakes on it.

I think I missed part of the recipe.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

Typically, Teryaki Sauce is a combination of liquids and dry ingredients that include good soy sauce, brown sugar/white sugar, onion, choppped bell pepper and hot peppers, and garlic. I also like to add Sriracha Sauce and some Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, and black pepper.

I start with the soy and brown sugar. I then add and taste with the other ingredients until I get the flavor I'm looking for.

Other people make it with soy sauce, vinager, white sugar, and garlic. And I'm sure that you will find other recipes from people in DC.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

yep, i use soy sauce, powdered garlic, sesame seed oil, liquid smoke and SUGAR. sometimes i'll mince up some green onions with the mix and finish by throwing sesame seeds on the finished product.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I add Thai Sweet Chili Sauce as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans

Now we're talkin here! I LOVE teryaki but it has been a mystery to me. Partially because I have never thought about making it myself. Of course once I saw the title of this thread I was like "Oh HECK YEAH!".
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Everymom

bigdaddy, I do brown sugar, good soy sauce, garlic and either a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice. Just keep on tasting till it seems right.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Sorry but real Teriyaki sauce and Korean BBQ marinade are not the same thing. Similar but not the same.

The times I have been in Japan I never had Teriyaki that tasted like Korean BBQ.

The times I have been in Korea I never had BBQ that tasted like Teriyaki.

Both are soy sauce based.

Teriyaki sauce gets most of it flavor from Sake / mirin and is rounded out with sugar.

Korean BBQ marinade tends to get its flavor from garlic, onion, sesame oil or seeds, brown sugar and or fruit (apple or pear).

My favorite Teriyaki sauce recipe come from Japanese home cooking by Tokiko Suzuki. It has Sake, Sugar, Mirin and soy sauce. I then add a hint of garlic.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

Well then, I guess what I've been making all these years is Korean BBQ. I don't use alcohol in anything that is to be ingested. It's personal choice thing. So that means I won't be using Saki or Mirin. But that's Ok, 'cause what I make tastes great. And that's all I'm looking for.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

sugar sugar sugar

its best to add sugar when soy sauce, mirin etc is hot add alot (browns the best) strirring constantly.. brown sugar thickens mixture

Tags
None