Thickening Alfredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is almost impossible to answer without knowing what recipe you're using.

There are literally hundreds of recipes for Alfredo sauce (most claiming that they're the "authentic" one - lol!!). Some recipes are meant to be thin, consisiting of little more than melted butter, heavy cream, & parmesan cheese. Other, thicker types start out with a "white sauce" base (flour cooked in some melted butter) before the cream & cheese are added.

If your recipe doesn't contain any flour, & you'd prefer a thicker Alfredo sauce, just use an Alfredo sauce recipe that uses a flour base.

Neither flour or eggs are needed to thicken alfredo sauce. Butter, heavy cream and parmegiano reggiano are all that is needed.

Melt the butter, add the cream and simmer to thicken. It will thicken further when you stir in the cheese.

I cannot see calling a roux based sauce being called alfredo, but that's just my opinion.

Like I said - there are "hundreds" of variations on the theme. If the OP wants something thicker, perhaps a roux-based recipe is right up their alley.

My husband's hands-down favorite somewhat lo-cal variation that I frequently make for him consists of melted "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, non-fat yogurt, sour cream, & lots of grated parmesan cheese.

Is it authentic? Of course not. Does it taste good & make him happy? Yup. Is that what counts? You betcha.

Andy, there was a time I used to be more of a purist about nomenclature. Google won.

Type in any named dish and you are going to find a ton of variations as we all know, and some may seem absolutely ourlandish. They may not seem necessarily bad, just not in keeping with what we think the 'traditional' recipe should be.

As far as I know there is no document that will unequivocally prove the created Alfredo sauce recipe. I suspect yours is probably close to it.

But let us take Buffalo chicken wings. Not everyone agrees but most reports attribute it to Teressa Bellissimo at the Anchor Bar - again widely known. Am not stating the NY Times is the expert, but remember in 1980 or so the Sunday edition ran a story on the wings and gave the 'original' recipe.

Now we I am sure all know what that is. But folks post and print recipes all the time for Buffalo wings that are cooked in an oven - having never seen hot oil. Or use something other than the original Frank's sauce. Or are made with many variations.

Heck, I have no problem with those recipes, there are many great ways of cooking the things.

Are they truly Buffalo wings? I suppose not. But have given up on worrying about it.

Andy, I agree with you. But any idea anyone ever might have had of unifying recipe definitions has been lost with the internet.

Just my two cents. And maybe I will go and douse my problems with a martini made with midori and kahlua. Nah, I could never do that.

Where is the gin?

Mine isn't traditional either, but it tastes good, and is a little lighter, I think.

I sweat minced garlic in butter, stir in flour, add regular milk and stir till it's thickened. Then I add grated parmesan and cream cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and grate a little nutmeg over the top.
Proportions are 1 tbl butter to 1 tbl flour, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup parmesan, and 1 oz cream cheese.

OK lets get back on topic and discuss how to thicken Alfredo sauce, not what makes a recipe authentic.

Andy, there was a time I used to be more of a purist about nomenclature. Google won.

Type in any named dish and you are going to find a ton of variations as we all know, and some may seem absolutely ourlandish. They may not seem necessarily bad, just not in keeping with what we think the 'traditional' recipe should be...

You can post a recipe for refried beans on the internet and call it alfredo and Google will pick it up if you search for alfredo recipes. That does not make it legit.

I have no issue with variations on recipes. We all do it. I do have an issue with making what I consider significant changes and not changing the name.

I have seen various alfredo recipes with egg, flour, cream cheese, garlic, shallots and who know what else. They may all be very tasty. As Breezy said, that's what it's all about. But at some point, you have to stop calling it alfredo.

I recall a posted question a while back asking if you could use madiera in place of marsala in a chicken marsala recipe. Yes, you can but what are you going to call it?

Sorry GB, was just picking up on something.

Actually I agree with Andy, I don't think one needs flour.

But if that makes the sauce more palatable to anyone, then go for it.

How are you making it? I have not ever had thickening problems with Alfredo, actually quite the opposite!!!

1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 and a half cups of grated cheese
1/4 cup of butter

Melt the butter
Add in heavy whipping cream and cheese and let simmer. Mabye im not letting it simmer long enough.

one thought... what type of cheese are you using? How fine is it grated? You may want to try a different cheese or a coarser grate I am not really experienced cooking alfredo (just eating it) but I think the type/quality of the cheese will play a part in defining the texture.

I have to go with the purists on the nomenclature here... Alfredo does not include flour or eggs... then you are making Bechamel or something else yummy but it certainly is not Alfredo.

Alfredo sauce by definition is made with Parmesan cheese. Preferably Parmagiano Reggiano. I don't think that has that much to do with the thickness of the sauce.

Little Italy, I suspect you are not allowing the sauce enough time to reduce. That is the way your sauce thickens.

Alfredo sauce by definition is made with Parmesan cheese. Preferably Parmagiano Reggiano. I don't think that has that much to do with the thickness of the sauce.

I have to disagree... my point was you will find many things called "Parmesan" which vary from little granules of tatstless fleck in a cardboard shaker to lovely chunks of Reggiano. they will melt differently and act differently in your sauce. Little Italy said "Grated Cheese" which can mean anything but I believe you will get a better texture to your alfredo if you used a quality cheese and hand grated it coarsley than if you use the pre-grated topping stuff.

In such a minimalist 3 ingredient sauce the ingredients matter tremendously.

What cream? What Cheese? What Butter? I would try one with all artisinal ingredients and one with generic processes supermarket ingredients and see what you get.

I am using mayfield heavy cream
The little shaker kroger brand parm cheese,not enough money to buy the real stuff. (college kid)
and country crocker margarine out of a tub

I think I see the problem. By Kroger brand do you mean the stuff in the can? That stuff won't thicken as it really doesn't "melt" properly. And Country Crock is made out of a lot of water if my memory serves me well. Water will certainly destroy your Alfredo.

Cream, shredded Parm at least (and that can be bought in a tub), REAL butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. The other stuff just won't serve you well. :(

I have to disagree... my point was you will find many things called "Parmesan" which vary from little granules of tatstless fleck in a cardboard shaker to lovely chunks of Reggiano. they will melt differently and act differently in your sauce. Little Italy said "Grated Cheese" which can mean anything but I believe you will get a better texture to your alfredo if you used a quality cheese and hand grated it coarsley than if you use the pre-grated topping stuff.

In such a minimalist 3 ingredient sauce the ingredients matter tremendously.

What cream? What Cheese? What Butter? I would try one with all artisinal ingredients and one with generic processes supermarket ingredients and see what you get.

I agree about the taste/texture of the sauce, with cheaper drier stuff potentially making for a grainy texture (and obviously taste impact), but I still don't think the quality of the parmesan will have much affect on its ability to thicken. It thickens primarily because the liquid is boiled off.

I am using mayfield heavy cream
The little shaker kroger brand parm cheese,not enough money to buy the real stuff. (college kid)
and country crocker margarine out of a tub

Hey LI I remember the college days my friends and I did alot of cooking on budget ... somtimes things are tight still... but when you try alfredo again do yourself a favor and get some real cheese it dosent have to be expensive import parmigano reggiano just get a simple block domestic parmesan (supermarket brand is fine) and grate it yourself with the big hole part of the grater... or buy the pre grated kind that is larger pieces and sold in the little plastic containers.

Parmigano Reggiano is very expensive and amazingly tasty but for cooking you may actually be better of with a slightly softer domestic parmesan anyway becuase it will integrate better.

I generally cook with the softer stuff and reserve the Reggiano for appetisers on special occassions it is precious like gold.

Also use real BUTTER in place of the marg.... again regular supermarket butter is absolutley fine.

I think your texture and taste will improve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom