"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thickening Alfredo

How do you thicken Alfredo sauce?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It thickens on it's own as the heavy cream cooks.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

This is almost impossible to answer without knowing what recipe you're using.

There are literally hundreds of recipes for Alfredo sauce (most claiming that they're the "authentic" one - lol!!). Some recipes are meant to be thin, consisiting of little more than melted butter, heavy cream, & parmesan cheese. Other, thicker types start out with a "white sauce" base (flour cooked in some melted butter) before the cream & cheese are added.

If your recipe doesn't contain any flour, & you'd prefer a thicker Alfredo sauce, just use an Alfredo sauce recipe that uses a flour base.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Neither flour or eggs are needed to thicken alfredo sauce. Butter, heavy cream and parmegiano reggiano are all that is needed.

Melt the butter, add the cream and simmer to thicken. It will thicken further when you stir in the cheese.

I cannot see calling a roux based sauce being called alfredo, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

Like I said - there are "hundreds" of variations on the theme. If the OP wants something thicker, perhaps a roux-based recipe is right up their alley.

My husband's hands-down favorite somewhat lo-cal variation that I frequently make for him consists of melted "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, non-fat yogurt, sour cream, & lots of grated parmesan cheese.

Is it authentic? Of course not. Does it taste good & make him happy? Yup. Is that what counts? You betcha.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Head Chef

Andy, there was a time I used to be more of a purist about nomenclature. Google won.

Type in any named dish and you are going to find a ton of variations as we all know, and some may seem absolutely ourlandish. They may not seem necessarily bad, just not in keeping with what we think the 'traditional' recipe should be.

As far as I know there is no document that will unequivocally prove the created Alfredo sauce recipe. I suspect yours is probably close to it.

But let us take Buffalo chicken wings. Not everyone agrees but most reports attribute it to Teressa Bellissimo at the Anchor Bar - again widely known. Am not stating the NY Times is the expert, but remember in 1980 or so the Sunday edition ran a story on the wings and gave the 'original' recipe.

Now we I am sure all know what that is. But folks post and print recipes all the time for Buffalo wings that are cooked in an oven - having never seen hot oil. Or use something other than the original Frank's sauce. Or are made with many variations.

Heck, I have no problem with those recipes, there are many great ways of cooking the things.

Are they truly Buffalo wings? I suppose not. But have given up on worrying about it.

Andy, I agree with you. But any idea anyone ever might have had of unifying recipe definitions has been lost with the internet.

Just my two cents. And maybe I will go and douse my problems with a martini made with midori and kahlua. Nah, I could never do that.

Where is the gin?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

Mine isn't traditional either, but it tastes good, and is a little lighter, I think.

I sweat minced garlic in butter, stir in flour, add regular milk and stir till it's thickened. Then I add grated parmesan and cream cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and grate a little nutmeg over the top.
Proportions are 1 tbl butter to 1 tbl flour, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup parmesan, and 1 oz cream cheese.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

OK lets get back on topic and discuss how to thicken Alfredo sauce, not what makes a recipe authentic.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Andy, there was a time I used to be more of a purist about nomenclature. Google won.

Type in any named dish and you are going to find a ton of variations as we all know, and some may seem absolutely ourlandish. They may not seem necessarily bad, just not in keeping with what we think the 'traditional' recipe should be...

You can post a recipe for refried beans on the internet and call it alfredo and Google will pick it up if you search for alfredo recipes. That does not make it legit.

I have no issue with variations on recipes. We all do it. I do have an issue with making what I consider significant changes and not changing the name.

I have seen various alfredo recipes with egg, flour, cream cheese, garlic, shallots and who know what else. They may all be very tasty. As Breezy said, that's what it's all about. But at some point, you have to stop calling it alfredo.

I recall a posted question a while back asking if you could use madiera in place of marsala in a chicken marsala recipe. Yes, you can but what are you going to call it?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Head Chef

Sorry GB, was just picking up on something.

Actually I agree with Andy, I don't think one needs flour.

But if that makes the sauce more palatable to anyone, then go for it.

Tags
None