Thin red wine reduction sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabgourmet

Assistant Cook
I recently attempted a reduction for use with beef tenderloins. I used carrots, onion, and equal parts red wine and red wine vinegar. The recipe called for it to reduce to 1/3 the original amount and then to whisk in butter before spooning it over the meat. My problem is that it didn't seem to end up as thick as it looked in the cookbook. It tasted great, but was very liquid. Is this how a reduction should end up? Does anyone have any advice on getting a thicker sauce? Thanks!

Also, it works better/faster in a large pan, say 12". More surface area. You can add the liquid gradually until you get the consistancy you want. I cheat and throw in an ice cube sized piece of demi.

I've noticed that some wines take longer to reduce than others in that they are "thinner" to start with. So like Jeekins and jennyema says, keep reducing until it's a syrup - then swirl in the butter.

I've noticed that some wines take longer to reduce than others in that they are "thinner" to start with. So like Jeekins and jennyema says, keep reducing until it's a syrup - then swirl in the butter.

I can reduce wines in no time (hic) :wacko:

I made a nice reduction sauce last night. I braised a ham in apple juice with some cloves tossed in for good measure. After removing the ham I reduced the apple juice (until the syrup stage, as mentioned), and stirred in some german mustard. Yummy!

I agree with those who think reducing to about a third is not going to thicken the wine/vinegar much. There isn't much in wine to thicken up until irt reaches the 'cough syrup' stage.

Maybe you could reduce more wine. Adding some corn starch might work - have done that. But you might not like the effect.

The demi is always an option but usually don't have it on hand and it makes it a different product, albeit a darn good one.

Demi is a brown stock that has been reduced down to a meat glaze. It is very concentrated and due to the gelatin content, has thickening properties in pan sauces.
As mentioned, start with more wine and vinegar and reduce until as thick as you wish. Monte with whole butter to add richness and a slight creaminess.

If you pan seared your steaks, I assume you deglazed with the wine? This would add some proteins to the sauce as well.

Marko
http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/

:)Sounds like a Beurre Rouge as opposed to Beurre Blanc which is thickened by butter but hard to do at least for me, so some people cheat by adding some heavy cream to make it more stabilized and hold better on the stove.

I made a nice reduction sauce last night. I braised a ham in apple juice with some cloves tossed in for good measure. After removing the ham I reduced the apple juice (until the syrup stage, as mentioned), and stirred in some german mustard. Yummy!

Ooooooooh, Erik! I'm coming over for leftovers!

As the others have said, the wine needs to be reduced to almost a syrup. I'm not sure why you'd use vinegar, too. How did it taste?

This is my favorite quickie wine sauce that I make in the pan the meat cooked in.....

Wine Merchant’s Sauce
(aka Sauce Marchand du Vin)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
¾ cup dry red wine (such as Côtes du Rhône or Zinfandel)
another ½ cup of the wine
3 tablespoons additional butter
freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste

1. Pour off the fat from the pan, but do not wash it. The particles of caramelized meat juices adhering to the pan will contribute to the success of your sauce.

2. Add 1 tablespoon butter and the shallots to the hot pan. Sauté the shallots over low heat for about 3 minutes, then pour in the red wine. Raise the heat and cook until the wine is reduced to almost a syrup. Add the ½ cup wine, and reduce again. This time, leave a little more juice (about 1/3 cup in all). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is absorbed and the sauce is thickened. Add freshly ground pepper and taste before adding salt. It may very well be salty enough.

Last edited:
Leftovers? You think we had leftovers? Lol...nothing left...the kids inhaled it!

We'll see what kind of reduction I do with the lamb tonight, though:)

Back
Top Bottom