Tip for Beef Strogonoff Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
I just posted this on another cooking site so decided to post it here too. If you want to add a terrific flavor to Beef Strogonoff Sauce, add 2 tablespoons Dijon or grainy mustard to a 1/2 cup sour cream. Mix well and add to the sauce and serve over wide noodles. The mustard adds a whole new dimension and a great flavor to this dish.

I agree.

Most traditional recipes for beef stroganoff include either Dijon or powdered mustard.

The DW makes strogonoff sometimes, but I dunno if she uses any mustard. I'll have to pass along this info....

...but what does bother me is the fact that she considers this a "winter" dish and won't cook it in the summer. That may or may not be correct, but I really don't care...I WANT SOME STROGONOFF :(

Thanks for the post. I like beef stroganoff, but have not made it nor eaten it for several years. Don't know why. Next time I'll try some mustard in it.

Cool, I love stroganoff, thanks for the tip! Out of curiosity, what is everyones preferred beef to use in the dish? And TNT recipes? The wife always makes it and while it is good the beef is always tough. I myself have never tried making it.

Mav My choice of beef for strogonoff is beef tenderloin tips. All ways tender.
If you use a different cut of beef cut it into slivers insted of chunks or juillene it will come out much more tender. Freeze the beef for 30-40 minutes and it will cut much better

Cool, I love stroganoff, thanks for the tip! Out of curiosity, what is everyones preferred beef to use in the dish? And TNT recipes? The wife always makes it and while it is good the beef is always tough. I myself have never tried making it.

If I have to make it in the crock pot because I will be gone for several hours, I use chuck steak cut into cubes. If I'm in a hurry I use beef tenderloin. I don't know what cut of beef your wife is using but maybe she's not cooking it long enough. What is she using?

This dish was originally intended to be a quick dish. Tenderloin is the meat of choice. There are slow cooking versions as well. You can use other cuts in the slow cooker.

I am pretty sure it ain't tenderloin, LOL. If I had to guess she probably bought some cheap chuck steak on sale or something along those lines. When I make my attempt I will get some good tenderloin for it.

I use "Sirloin", works well if cut thin, semi frozen about 1/4", then cooked very quickly..

or, if you like a more meaty, heavy strog. cut thick about 1/2 to even 1" thick...

but then you have to cook the meat in the broth for like 1 hr. or more or it will be tough..

I do it both ways, depending on my mood, quick is actually a very light dish, long is more like a stew, and sirloin is quite inexpensive here...

Eric, Austin Tx.

Back
Top Bottom