"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Head Chef

TNT Basic Orange Sauce w/variations

This sauce started out as a quest to recreate hunan orange beef and hunan orange chicken. The basic sauce is below with variations below that.

Orange sauce:
In a saucepan combine-
Zest from one orange
juice and whatever pulp wants to come with from that orange
6 oz orange concentrate
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Cup sugar (honey or corn syrup combination optional)

Simmer this mixture until it makes a nice medium thick syrup the consistency of honey. Store in pourable containers in the refrigerator for use on beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood.

1. Variation for some hotness: add a chopped chili pepper (the hotness you like) in the beginning. Store in pourable container in the refrigerator.

2. Variation for hunan orange beef or chicken: add the chopped pepper as in the first variation and chopped garlic and chopped ginger in proportions you like (1 tablespoon of each to start). Use to glaze the vegetables and meat in the hunan dish.

I made this again last night, one jug of the basic recipe and one of first variation (for me).

Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Searching for Hellman's. Ag

Looking for a Hellman's mayo with olive oil recipe that included sliced avocado and other ingredients in a tortilla

Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Phyllis View Post
Looking for a Hellman's mayo with olive oil recipe that included sliced avocado and other ingredients in a tortilla
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Phyllis. While this has little to nothing to do with orange sauce, I found what I think might be your recipe, on the Hellman's site, because you are new.

California Chicken Wraps

Might I suggest instead of mayonnaise, try the orange sauce instead in your recipe.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks for the recipe, blissful!
I will be trying this very soon.
I see you are also quite the diplomat!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Thanks for the recipe, blissful!
I will be trying this very soon.
I see you are also quite the diplomat!

and you're welcome. Let me know if you and yours like it or any of it's variations. We just love it here.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Smile Reply to Blissful

Thanks, Blissful, you were a big help and now I have the recipe I wanted, and sooner or later I will get the hang of this site.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Phyllis View Post
Thanks, Blissful, you were a big help and now I have the recipe I wanted, and sooner or later I will get the hang of this site.
You're welcome, glad to be of service.
There is a section on the top when you are in the main DC menu, to introduce yourself, tell us where you are from or whatever you wish to share.
Here: Introductions & Birthdays! - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
The main site here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/
And that is the end of our tour, welcome. ~Bliss
Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
This sauce started out as a quest to recreate hunan orange beef and hunan orange chicken. The basic sauce is below with variations below that.

Orange sauce:
In a saucepan combine-
Zest from one orange
6 oz orange concentrate
2 Tablespoons soy sauce

Simmer this mixture until it makes a nice medium thick syrup the consistency of honey. Store in pourable containers in the refrigerator for use on beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood.

1. Variation for some hotness: add a chopped chili pepper (the hotness you like) in the beginning. Store in pourable container in the refrigerator.

2. Variation for hunan orange beef or chicken: add the chopped pepper as in the first variation and chopped garlic and chopped ginger in proportions you like (1 tablespoon of each to start). Use to glaze the vegetables and meat in the hunan dish.

I made this again last night, one jug of the basic recipe and one of first variation (for me).
Takes me back to one of my first "company" dishes - orange chicken.

Saute chicken breasts, add a small can of thawed OJ concentrate (add some soy sauce, if desired), cover and baste until the sauce is thick. Used to serve it on a bed of rice, surrounded w/ mandarin oranges, & topped w/ scallions & slivered almonds.

Also reminded me of another oldie, but goodie - OJ concentrate mixed w/ dry Lipton mushroom soup.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Used to serve it on a bed of rice, surrounded w/ mandarin oranges, & topped w/ scallions & slivered almonds.
Thank you Cerise. I bet the mandarin orange, scallions, and almonds are just about the perfect compliment and edible garnish for this dish.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Orange sauce:
In a saucepan combine-
Zest from one orange
6 oz orange concentrate
2 Tablespoons soy sauce

Yum, copied and pasted.

Tags
orange, orange zest, recipe, sauce, soy sauce

TNT Basic Orange Sauce w/variations This sauce started out as a quest to recreate hunan orange beef and hunan orange chicken. The basic sauce is below with variations below that. Orange sauce: In a saucepan combine- Zest from one orange juice and whatever pulp wants to come with from that orange 6 oz orange concentrate 2 Tablespoons soy sauce 1 Cup sugar (honey or corn syrup combination optional) Simmer this mixture until it makes a nice medium thick syrup the consistency of honey. Store in pourable containers in the refrigerator for use on beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood. 1. Variation for some hotness: add a chopped chili pepper (the hotness you like) in the beginning. Store in pourable container in the refrigerator. 2. Variation for hunan orange beef or chicken: add the chopped pepper as in the first variation and chopped garlic and chopped ginger in proportions you like (1 tablespoon of each to start). Use to glaze the vegetables and meat in the hunan dish. I made this again last night, one jug of the basic recipe and one of first variation (for me). 3 stars 1 reviews