Tomatillo-Chile Sauce - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I found this recipe several months ago in a local newspaper. I have gotten bored with my regular recipe, so I am going to try this recipe. I bought all the ingredients today and plan on making it tomorrow. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Tomatillo-Chile Sauce

1 lb. fresh tomatillos, husked and washed or 2 - 13 oz. cans, drained
Fresh hot green chilies to taste, roughly 3 serranos or 2 jalapenos, stemmed
5-4 sprigs fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups of any poultry or beef broth
Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon (depending on the saltiness of the broth)

Boil the fresh tomatillos and chilies in salted water to cover until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. If using canned tomatillos, drain. Place tomatillos and chilies(raw chilies if using canned tomatillos) in a food processor, along with the cilantro, onion, and garlic. Process until smooth, but still retaining a little texture. Heat oil in a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply, pour puree in all at once and stir constantly for 4-5 minutes, until darker and thicker. Add the broth, let return to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.

This looks like a paraphrasing of Rick Bayless's Essential Simmered Tomatillo-Serrano Salsa. Most of the measurements are the same, and some of the wording is the same.

I've made this particular recipe a couple of times, only I roast the tomatillos, chiles, garlic, and onion, then blend it, then procede as directed (he lists that version in his recipe).

I will admit, this stuff is ADDICTING! I made some over a month ago, and was using it for quesadillas, and as a condiment for enchiladas. In Chef Bayless's book "Mexican Kitchen", he mentions that you can use this sauce for chicken enchiladas, as well as MANY other things.

Back
Top Bottom