Tomato sauce variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to saute some onions, celery, and matchstick carrots to add to mine along with just a tad of balsamic vinegar. You have to be VERY careful about adding the vinegar!!!!!!

I like to make it really thick with tomato paste and then thin it out with a robust red wine adding a bit more about 15 minutes before done so the flavor is more present at the end.

I will also add some vodka and chili flakes for a Fra Diavolo sauce.

Of course there's all those other traditional flavors in the above variations too i.e., garlic, oregano, basil.

I also like to use ground pork instead of ground beef for a meat sauce. And I like to use a combination of beef, pork, and veal when making meatballs and use milk as the wetting agent.

I usually add sauteed onions, garlic, carrots and some basil, oregano/thyme, salt and pepper, but I wonder if leeks or zucchini would be a good idea.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. I use thicker matchstick cut zucchini sometimes in my chili - it's great! I think leeks would be great too!

I used to make this dish where I used to work that was a simple marinara but it was surrounded by grilled veggies (zucchini, squash, asparagus, green beans, I can't remember what else) so I think any of those would make a great vegetarian-type/vegetable spaghetti sauce.

I know this is off topic but most of the time when I do a vegetable pasta like this I just use olive oil, garlic, and kosher salt as my "sauce". But tomato sauce with all of the above sure can't be bad!!!! :chef:

I use a can of whole tomatoes and pulse them in a blender with lots of garlic, fresh or roasted peppers, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and some olive oil. Then I simmer the sauce in a pan while the pasta is cooking. When the pasta is done, I put it in the sauce, mixt it and it's done! The peppers really change the flavor.

Last edited:
finish with vodka and cream for a nice vodka sauce.

I like to add a little fresh rosemary, cubed fresh mozzarella, and white wine. Just heat until the cheese is warmed through.

Just add really nice olive oil and fresh basil for alla Checca.

Our standard spaghetti sauce goes like this: Brown a pound of ground beef, pour off fat, and saute a couple teaspoons' worth of minced garlic and about a half-cup each of chopped onions and red and green peppers. Add about 3 cups of crushed tomatoes and a half tsp. each of dried oregano and basil, or when we have fresh herbs, 1 1/2 tsp. each of fresh oregano and basil. Salt and pepper to taste.

I skin, seed and cook down my tomatoes from my garden then freeze. USe as needed. Last year I froze 40 quarts of the stuff. Actually had to buy a new freezer just for that :) . Sometimes Ill make a tortelini salad with some marinara + balsamic vinegar + garlic + oil + olives + sun dried tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts. Recently just got into sprinkling some toasted pine nuts on top of my pata with sauce.

Add some roasted red peppers, artichokes and capers.

I also keep my sauces very basic. i.e. canned tomatoes, evoo, salt, garlic & basil would be my most basic one. I try to swap out ingredients to get variations and to keep the ingredient list down. I like to slice whole canned tomatoes and thin the sauce out a bit with wine, stock or water for a lighter sauce to use in a braise. Also, don't cook the bejesus out of it.

Back
Top Bottom