Tomato sauce vs Red gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had never heard the term "pot cheese" (refering to ricotta) nor had I heard "macaroni" as an all encompassing word for pasta, until I worked with a guy from New Yorks little Italy. Same for Sunday gravy. So, where does tomato based salsa fit into the picture or sofrito?:rolleyes:

I had never heard the term "pot cheese" (refering to ricotta) nor had I heard "macaroni" as an all encompassing word for pasta, until I worked with a guy from New Yorks little Italy. Same for Sunday gravy. So, where does tomato based salsa fit into the picture or sofrito?:rolleyes:

Sofrito, and salsa are unique sauces. Tehre are, in French cooking, 5 mother sauces. From these come hundreds of small, or derivative sauces. I would propose that sauces that have their own, unique flavors and ingredients are derivatives of the mother sauce. Bolognese sauce woud be a small sauce (derivative sauce) of tomato sauce. The same is true for chili sauce, sofrito, cocktail sauce, marinara sauce, etc. Bechemel is a mother sauce. Add gruyere and it becomes Mornay sauce. Add Parmesano Regiano and it becomes Alfredo Sauce.

Most beef gravy could be considered a derivative of Espangole Sauce. Chick, pork, lamb, and fish gravies and sauces are derivatives of Veloute Sauce, and so it goes.

In most of North America, Tomato sauce is synonymous with Mainara. However, the sauce we use with goulash/slumgullion typically has fewer herbs and spices, and though we call it tomato sauce, it is more of a pomodoro, or sugo sauce. At least that's what I gather from reading about Italian tomato based sauces.

So, in the USA, we have effectively changed the meaning of marinara (my eldest sister insists on calling it MaryAnna sauce), just as we have changed what Scampi means, and what Bruschetta means.

We have such a cultural mix in America, that things just get changed all around, as people add their own spin to the language.

For instance, few of us know that salsa can be sweet, and wasn't invented by "Pace".:LOL: It's also and Italian word that means tomato sauce, just as it is in Hispanic. Both nations languages are Latin in origin. Many of the words are the same, though they may have picked up regional meanings.

Standardization is required for a people to understand each other. But it can get in the way, as well. I call a chinoix by that name. My DW bristles at it, and says that I'm putting on airs. I call it by that name because that's what it was called when I was introduced to the device. DW calls it a strainer, as do many from my part of the world.

Let's not get hung up on terminology, or jargon. As a tech report writer, my goal was to turn electronic jargon into something other people besides electrical engineers could understand. The English language is broad enough that we can take cooking jargon and simplify it. Maybe a good topic to start would be to make a standardized, DC cooking dictionary, that we can all agree upon, understanding that it is simply used so that we can all speak fluently about our shared love of cooking, and all things pertaining to cooking.

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind fo the North

Buckytom had a recipe for Sunday Gravy I made once... I made it once and ate it for a year :LOL:

Let's not get hung up on terminology, or jargon.

Yes, because that will bring up the old argument about whether BBQ is a noun or a verb! *running away giggling madly*

Yes, because that will bring up the old argument about whether BBQ is a noun or a verb! *running away giggling madly*
Alix,
you are a rascal:ROFLMAO: I say garvey, it's Italian for sauce!!!
kades

And translated from Italian, a Marinara sauce is 'sea based.' Has sea food such as fish, scallopes, shrimp, etc. From the sea. Marinara from Marine. Or Marine from Marinara. :angel:

And translated from Italian, a Marinara sauce is 'sea based.' Has sea food such as fish, scallopes, shrimp, etc. From the sea. Marinara from Marine. Or Marine from Marinara. :angel:
My husbands mom always said gravey and I picked it up. I like the sound of it:angel::angel:
kades

I dunno about that. This appears to be some sort of myth. Having been to Italy several times for both work and pleasure, I've seen all kinds of "alla marinara" items on menus, but never have they included or been based around seafood. Maybe that was how it started, but now it's just mainly tomatoes. In fact, I find real Italian marinara to be much more bland than the American counterpart.

Last edited:
I make a couple of gallons of my grandmother's sauce recipe with tomatoes, onions, and seasonings. I take out one quart and call it tomato sauce marinara. That's what I use it recipes that call for tomato sauce, or for fish or shrimp. If I am going to use some of it for pizza sauce, I'll add garlic and oregano. Otherwise the only seasonings are salt and pepper.

Once I put in the cooked Italian sausage and meatballs in the pot and let it simmer for at least a couple of hours, it becomes Sunday gravy, even though Tuesday was always spaghetti night at my parents' house!

Last edited:
As mentioned before, tomato sauce is one of the Mother Sauces.:)

Learn your Mother Sauces, all 5 of them (actually 6) When you do, it opens a whole world of flavors to your skill base.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm making tomato SAUCE today to use with the vegetarian lasagne I will assemble later. I started with onions-garlic-celery-a wee bit of fresh fennel sauteed. Then I added tomatoes, then I added roasted red peppers, then I added roasted tomato sauce from the freezer, then I added tomato puree and diced roasted tomatoes from the freezer, then I added roasted eggplant and zucchini, then I added mushroom powder, then I added more tomato puree, then I added grated carrots and grated zucchini, then I adjusted the seasonings (typical, except I put in a wee pinch of cloves and cinnamon and I always use a fresh bay leaf), then I added grated parm...then I added red wine...now I'm letting it simmer. I don't do spaghetti--hate it. My mother made that every Monday and her sauce was runny. I like mine THICK and I like it to stick to the pasta. Since there is no meat, I'm calling it sauce.

Last edited:
I'm making tomato SAUCE today to use with the vegetarian lasagne I will assemble later. I started with onions-garlic-celery-a wee bit of fresh fennel sauteed. Then I added tomatoes, then I added roasted red peppers, then I added roasted tomato sauce from the freezer, then I added tomato puree and diced roasted tomatoes from the freezer, then I added roasted eggplant and zucchini, then I added mushroom powder, then I added more tomato puree, then I added grated carrots and grated zucchini, then I adjusted the seasonings (typical, except I put in a wee pinch of cloves and cinnamon and I always use a fresh bay leaf), then I added grated parm...then I added red wine...now I'm letting it simmer. I don't do spaghetti--hate it. My mother made that every Monday and her sauce was runny. I like mine THICK and I like it to stick to the pasta. Since there is no meat, I'm calling it sauce.

The addition of the cinnamon and cloves is a nice touch!

I had never run into it until I made pastitsio using an old Greek cookbook. Sometime try adding a handful of raisins, chopped stuffed olives, chunks of browned lamb or venison, carrots and onions for a new twist on stew.

It is nice to shake things up from time to time! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The addition of the cinnamon and cloves is a nice touch!

I had never run into it until I made pastitsio using an old Greek cookbook. Sometime try adding a handful of raisins, chopped stuffed olives, chunks of browned lamb or venison, carrots and onions for a new twist on stew.

It is nice to shake things up from time to time! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I've always put in a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cloves. Or, sometimes, if I'm too lazy to grind cinnamon, I use Chinese 5-spice. I'd love to put in some of the spicy homemade pork-venison sausage I made, but one of my guests is vegetarian so the rest of us will just have to eat and be merry!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom