"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
Executive Chef

I make a couple of gallons of my grandmother's sauce recipe with tomatoes, onions, and seasonings. I take out one quart and call it tomato sauce marinara. That's what I use it recipes that call for tomato sauce, or for fish or shrimp. If I am going to use some of it for pizza sauce, I'll add garlic and oregano. Otherwise the only seasonings are salt and pepper.

Once I put in the cooked Italian sausage and meatballs in the pot and let it simmer for at least a couple of hours, it becomes Sunday gravy, even though Tuesday was always spaghetti night at my parents' house!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #52
Master Chef

As mentioned before, tomato sauce is one of the Mother Sauces.

Learn your Mother Sauces, all 5 of them (actually 6) When you do, it opens a whole world of flavors to your skill base.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm making tomato SAUCE today to use with the vegetarian lasagne I will assemble later. I started with onions-garlic-celery-a wee bit of fresh fennel sauteed. Then I added tomatoes, then I added roasted red peppers, then I added roasted tomato sauce from the freezer, then I added tomato puree and diced roasted tomatoes from the freezer, then I added roasted eggplant and zucchini, then I added mushroom powder, then I added more tomato puree, then I added grated carrots and grated zucchini, then I adjusted the seasonings (typical, except I put in a wee pinch of cloves and cinnamon and I always use a fresh bay leaf), then I added grated parm...then I added red wine...now I'm letting it simmer. I don't do spaghetti--hate it. My mother made that every Monday and her sauce was runny. I like mine THICK and I like it to stick to the pasta. Since there is no meat, I'm calling it sauce.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm making tomato SAUCE today to use with the vegetarian lasagne I will assemble later. I started with onions-garlic-celery-a wee bit of fresh fennel sauteed. Then I added tomatoes, then I added roasted red peppers, then I added roasted tomato sauce from the freezer, then I added tomato puree and diced roasted tomatoes from the freezer, then I added roasted eggplant and zucchini, then I added mushroom powder, then I added more tomato puree, then I added grated carrots and grated zucchini, then I adjusted the seasonings (typical, except I put in a wee pinch of cloves and cinnamon and I always use a fresh bay leaf), then I added grated parm...then I added red wine...now I'm letting it simmer. I don't do spaghetti--hate it. My mother made that every Monday and her sauce was runny. I like mine THICK and I like it to stick to the pasta. Since there is no meat, I'm calling it sauce.
The addition of the cinnamon and cloves is a nice touch!

I had never run into it until I made pastitsio using an old Greek cookbook. Sometime try adding a handful of raisins, chopped stuffed olives, chunks of browned lamb or venison, carrots and onions for a new twist on stew.

It is nice to shake things up from time to time!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The addition of the cinnamon and cloves is a nice touch!

I had never run into it until I made pastitsio using an old Greek cookbook. Sometime try adding a handful of raisins, chopped stuffed olives, chunks of browned lamb or venison, carrots and onions for a new twist on stew.

It is nice to shake things up from time to time!
I've always put in a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cloves. Or, sometimes, if I'm too lazy to grind cinnamon, I use Chinese 5-spice. I'd love to put in some of the spicy homemade pork-venison sausage I made, but one of my guests is vegetarian so the rest of us will just have to eat and be merry!

Tags
sauce, tomato