Trying to create a mango barbecue sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
Hello, all.

I really, really love mangoes. So, one day not long ago I get a wild idea, and I decide to try making a barbecue sauce using mangoes. I did some research on the web, put together some ideas, and after eating one of four mangoes because I love them so much, I embark on creating a sauce for grilling using this wonderful fruit. I figured I couldn't go wrong, since I love mangoes.

I pureed the meat of three mangoes, and cooked it up with some sauteed onions, sugar, salt, and white wine vinegar. I let it all simmer down. After it was done, I pureed everything together using a stick blender.

I was mad! I had created a concoction that tasted simply horrible! I could have eaten three wonderful mangoes, but instead I wasted them in this poor, poor excuse for a sauce. :furious:

Did I mention yet that I love mangoes?

So, I appeal to you here. What could I do to make a sweet, delicious barbecue sauce that has that taste of mango that I love so much?

Should I perhaps use it as a sweet component within a fairly normal barbecue sauce recipe?

Thanks, Middie! That looks like a good one, although I'm not too sure about the "prepared mango chutney". Using chutney as an ingredient means going through a whole separate process, although I do have a recipe for it.

I'll bet I could start with this as a base and move forward, though. Thanks again!

What's funny is that what you originally made is pretty similar to a chutney.

Hmm... the idea is REALLY great, especially with the meat tenderizing properties of mangos. I'll make this a project and get back to you on it (Im always looking for an exuce to make something BBQ style).

My first thoughts though would be the following:

1 mango, mostly pured except for some "shavings" to give the sauce a few bits of fruit.
a few shavings of fresh ginger
a few tomatoes, diced finely (practically squished) and covered lightly with sea salt and a little sugar (left to sit in a bowl for a little bit).
the juice of one lime (instead of any vinegars and stuff)
a couple of shots of white tequila to "draw out" the flavors while simmering
half a red onion, diced fine
a touch of chipotle (like 1 from a can of adobo)
A little ketchup
garlic and onion powder

So... caramelize the onions, add the tomato, ketchup, powdered spices, chipotle, ginger and simmer for a bit. Then add the mango paste and lime juice once the heat has been lowered considerably together with the tequila. Simmer this on low for about 10 more minutes and you should have something interesting to paste on meat when you cook it. My main fear would be the acid from the lime or mango turning bitter when cooked at a high heat, otherwise you should be cool.

Edit: I tend to picture mangos as very large due to where I grew up... those smaller than fist sized ones might require two or even 3.

Back
Top Bottom