Turkey Gravy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeppitbbq

Cook
A Question
I know that this early thinking about Thankgiving, but, would anyone be so kind on tell me how they make turkey gravy? I tried to make it once..it was ok..but..it had grease in it. I don't know how to get the grease off the broth. Thanks to anyone who can help me and have a good day.

there is a device looks like a measuring cup crossed with a teapot
pour in your juices/gravy
let sit a minute and then pour off the juices/gravy
it pours from the bottom so the fat stays on top
gravy separator

Just pour the liquid into a plastic zip lock bag. Let it sit until the fat rises to the top. Hold the bag over a container that is large enough to hold all the liquid. Cut the tip off one lower corner, and move it away from the container and over the sink before the fat gets to the hole.

I really like Caine's tip. The other way to do it is to put the broth/grease mix in a jar and refrigerate. Take off the congealed fat and use to make gravy. Or get a gravy "separator"--broth comes off from the bottom.

Great gravy, stuffing, and many other dishes start with great stock. I make a couple gallons the day before, and use it to make all sorts of dishes - including leftover dishes like soup and pot pies.

A search will bring up a zillion turkey stock recipes. The trick is, use at least 8lbs of bones/parts per gallon of water, and give it at least 6hrs at a bare simmer for the collagen in the bones/tissues to dissolve. During the last hour you can add some diced mirepoix, thyme, sage, bay, garlic, peppercorns, etc. Degrease, cool, and store for up to a week in the fridge.

I do what Nicholas does. Make the stock ahead of time and use it for the gravy. I degrease by leaving it overnight in the refrigerator and then just remove the congealed fat from the top the next day.

I make mine in the same roasting pan the turkey (or what ever you are roasting) was in. For turkey/chicken - while the meat rests, place the pan over two burners, skim off some fat with a spoon and add wine, herbs and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce and thicken with a flour, butter slurry made in a coffee mug.

I make mine almost exactly as Nicholas Mosher makes his by beginning with a good turkey stock to use as the liquid. I also save the water that I boil my russet potatoes in to use if I need more liquid.

My family loves turkey gravy, so it is almost mandatory that I make a large quantity of it. I usually end up with close to a gallon of deep, rich turkey gravy.

Jeekinz said:
flour, butter slurry made in a coffee mug.

Don't you mean a flour, water slurry? A flour/butter combo is a roux, which needs to be cooked before adding anything.

I do mine the same as Jeekinz too - using a slurry (flour/water). OR, if you don't have much grease in the pan you can heat the grease you have, add enough flour to make a roux. Heat the roux for about 3 minutes to remove the flour flavor, then, while constantly whisking, add your liquid, be it milk, chicken stock, beef stock, turkey stock, water, etc. You can always use a slurry to thicken if you had to add "too much" liquid to make more if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom