"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I made tzatziki yesterday for a talk I gave on culinary herbs. I peeled and seeded the cucumber, grated it in the food processor, then left it in the FP bowl while I mixed the rest of the ingredients, then squeezed most of the liquid out before adding it to the yogurt mixture. Took about 15 minutes - that's plenty of time to drain it.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I've been a fan of Greek and Middle Eastern food for donkey's years, and this recipe was given to me by a delightful Greek lady when I went to Greece in 1971 and have used it ever since:

2 small cucumbers - different from the longer ones as they don't contain so much liquid.salt
Fresh garlic finely hand chopped, quantities to taste.
3/4 pint thick Greek yogurt
White pepper, ground
3 - 5 tbsp chopped and crushed fresh mint leaves, according to taste
2tbsp best quality Greek olive oil.

Sprinkle the cucumber with the salt, and leave in a colander to drain for at least 1/2 hour. Crush the garlic with the salt, taste and adjust to your own liking. Mix a few tbsp yogurt with the garlic, add to the rest of the garlic, then add it all to the yogurt. Taste and adjust the seasoning to yur own taste. Then add the chopped mint and a few drops of lemon juice, stir well and serve. I've never come across a recipe for tzatziki with herbs other than mint - but the world is a funny old place, and you never know what other people have come across, or whether it works. I only know that the above recipe works for me and that's what I stick to.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast

Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Supermarket Yogurt displays are 97% lies, with all the Chobani sugar-laden nonsense. Look for the word "Plain" and hope it means what it says. I half-peel English cukes, first laying the slices out on paper towels to lose the extra liquid, and grind all the spices. Fresh dill is not optional, and should be the prominent flavour. Important to chill.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

97 percent? Curious where you got that figure.

Tags
None