"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Tzatziki at home

1. I got the greek yougurt.. what a chore! there must be 500 types of yougurt at the grocery.. it's 2percent but a nice lady helped explain unflavored to me..

2. I've read many recipes, and the spices are strange.. should I use dill, very German to me..

I have parsley in the garden, but to me that would make Green Goddess..

I have greek oregano and garlic..

I also have a bottle of Cavender's all pupose Greek Seasoning...

3. bought 2 regular Cucumbers, I guess peel and seed those. i don't have a food processor, but I could put them thru the box grater..

This sure does sound like my Mothers German Cucumber Salat to me!

Eric, Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Sous Chef
There are lots of variations of tzatziki, but this one is simple, tasty, and doesn't need a food processor. You can add other herbs, such as parsley, mint, oregano. You can increase or decrease the garlic and lemon juice to preference. Greek yogurt is thicker and doesn't usually need to be drained, but that's also optional.

1 cup non-fat yogurt - (If using Greek yogurt, skip step 1.)
1/2 cucumber
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
tsp salt

1. Drain yogurt overnight in a coffee filter in the refrigerator.

2. Peel, seed, grate, and drain the cucumber. Squeeze it as dry as you can, then mince it finely.

3. Combine all the ingredients, then set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.

In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Germany isn't the only country that uses dill My recipe calls for 1 tbsp dill, 1 tsp mint, 1 garlic clove and 1 tbsp white vinegar.

Tzatziki (Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce)
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Don't overthink this. If you have unflavored Greek yogurt, cucumber, and garlic, you are good to go. Those are the dominant flavors, the other things just enhance it a bit. As Silversage pointed out, get as much water out of the cucumber as possible. Just seed the cucumbers before you use the box grater. I have Greek oregano in the herb garden, and it works just fine.

And yes, it's very similar to cucumbers and sour cream.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Head Chef
here is my recipe.(from The Frugal Gourmet cookbook

1 pint plain yogurt
1 unpeeled cucumber chopped fine ( I use an English cucumber)
1 large clove garlic crushed or grated
1/2 cup good olive oil
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon
1 tsp. salt

To the yogurt, add all ingredients except parsley. Blend well with a fork. Top with parsley. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Erik, I would go with a little oregano and some Cavenders. I personally am not much of a dill person, and even though it's in lots of recipes, I omit it. Also I sometimes esp in summer snip in some mint instead of oregano. You could use part of a peppermint tea bag, it's the same thing, if you have peppermint tea in the house. Or not. When using dry herbs, make the tzatkiki ahead of serving time, so the flavors meld.

Good luck with your dinner this weekend.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #7
Head Chef
I use a recipe similar to SS but I salt the grated cucumber (I use a whole one) after grating (on the box grater) and let it sit for a while in a colander and then squeeze dry. Do use fresh dill and not dried, you can strip the fronds and freeze the feathery parts for later use BTW. It keeps for ages wrapped in plastic in a plastic bag in the freezer.

Also remember you can always add more but you can't take away as far as the garlic, salt and dill. My BIL loved, absolutely loved garlic and decided he'd add extra to his tzatzik, bad, bad, bad plan. It was awful. He had to basically triple or quadruple all the rest of the ingredients for it to taste right.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Head Chef
Only thing I do differently, is Ill use lemon zest instead of the juice, to allow for a thicker Consistency. Definitely squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible of the cucumbers. Personally, I like the dill.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
i love greek recpie
liliedu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I also drain my grated cucumber in the fridge overnight. Great idea regarding the coffee filters!

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote