Tzatziki (Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Tzatziki

3 cups plain yogurt, or 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (preferred)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced fine
1 tsp. fresh mint, cut into chiffonade
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste

If using regular yogurt, place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl; put bowl, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour to drain excess liquid. If using Greek yogurt, this step is not necessary.

Shred cucumber and let sit in food processor or in a sieve over a bowl for about 10 minutes, to drain the liquid.

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, herbs and salt. Add cucumber and mix well. Place in a serving dish, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, to allow the flavors to mingle and make friends.

Serve with Greek or Middle-Eastern meatballs or grilled chicken, or as a dip with pita chips and veggie dippers.

Perfect! Thanks GG, going out to snip dill and mint now!

Last edited:
Tzatziki

1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar

If using regular yogurt, place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl; put bowl, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour to drain excess liquid. If using Greek yogurt, this step is not necessary.

Shred cucumber and let sit in food processor or in a sieve over a bowl for about 10 minutes, to drain the liquid.

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, herbs and salt. Add cucumber and mix well. Place in a serving dish, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, to allow the flavors to mingle and make friends.

Serve with Greek or Middle-Eastern meatballs or grilled chicken, or as a dip with pita chips and veggie dippers.
Looks yummy, thanks for sharing.
kades

Having Moussaka in the next few days. Will check how your recipe compares with what we have made in the past!:yum:

Last edited:
I'm going to make some to go with the dolmadas! Thanks for reminding me. I can't wait to make it using Greek yogurt. The last time I made this, I used Balkan-style yogurt.

Buonasera,

Tzatziki, one of my all time favorite Greek accompaniments ... I had posted my recipe in the Ethnic Section in January or February, however, it is quite similar to your´s and Kadesma´s ...

450 Ml. Strained Greek Yogurt
1 peeled cucumber grated
3 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
salt to taste
3 Tblsps. Evoo
1 1/2 each tblsps. of Fresh Dill and Fresh Mint Herb

I serve mine with Kalamata Greek Olives and warm oven Pita ...

Have a lovely evening.
Margi.

Last edited:
My recipe comes from an old Jeff Smith cookbook-The Frugal Gourmet.
1 pint yogurt 1 unpeeled cucumber, chopped fine (I use the hothouse cuke)1 large clove of garlic, crushed ,1/2 cup of good olive oiljuice of 1/2 a lemon ,1 tsp. salt.

Add all ingred to the yogurt mix well with a fork. Place in serving dish and top with chopped parsley. Refrigerate for a few hours.

This is delicious and easy.

Tzatziki

1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar

This sounds really nice, thank you for sharing :)

Buon Giorno,

Have enjoyed all the variations on the Greek classic dip TZATZIKI ...

I have made it with cow Greek Yogurt, goat Greek Yogurt and sheep Greek Yogurt ... It is quite a regular item for us ... We enjoy it for Breakfast with Unbleached Whole meal or whole wheat Pita Toasted ... and an Iced Espresso ...

Have a lovely July 1st, Canada Day and July 4th,
Ciao, Margi.

Althought we Greeks don't eat it for breakfast!we use more than one clove of garlic!too strong for breakfast!

Tzatziki has become a new staple at my house. I put it on everything from baked potato's, scrambled eggs, chili's, as trade out for mayo on sandwhiches. Excellent stuff! I made the fatal mistake of using non-fat yogurt last time I made it. It was horrid. Must use yogurt with some fat content.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom