"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Cook

I think it is made from fermented anchovies, not packed in salt. It keeps literally forever at room temp. There have been articles that many top chefs are using it in many sauces just for that "mysterious something". I love it. The smell is NOThing like the flavor.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

it is fermented, (after they squeeze the "sauce" out of whole fish ) but also has salt in it. some add other herbs and flavorings.
i wonder if the salt is used to control the fermentation, besides preserve it?

the less fermentation, the fishier it will smell and taste.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Just be careful when using it because the flavor can throw the taste of the entire dish off, depending on what other ingredients are being used, and especially if you're experimenting. Soy sauce is more versatile if you're looking to add saltiness to an Asian style dish, but you don't want to just add salt itself. However, in Southeast Asian cooking, if the recipe calls for using fish sauce then do not omit it. Like others have said, it is what rounds out the flavors of those dishes. If you want ideas on how it is used, and which flavors compliment it, look up some Thai and Vietnamese recipies so you can get a better idea of how fish sauce is used. Here is a starting point:

Thai Cuisine / Essential Ingredients
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I looooooove fish sauce, and my favourite is Golden Boy. I am concerned tho' at the price. A measly .90cents for 750 mls. Less than a 500 ml Coke costs here!! So that sets me to wondering about just WHAT the workers at that Thai factory get in their pay packet. Now I feel bad. But I cant live without it. I will make my thoughts known to those that govern now that I think about it. Yessiree!

Try a slosh of fish sauce with your lamb roast and a little more in the gravy. Anchovies meld well with Lamb. I make various Asian influenced dressings with a little fish sauce added. A couple of sploshes in a Puttanesca sauce work well too. I f you want a subtle saltiness combined with a mere whiff of fishiness, then use this sauce. A Caesar dressing for eg, if you dont want/have anchovies. And of course, it is indispensible with Vietnamese cuisine, my new favourite food.

Gotta get there this year for sure.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Master Chef

The French bottle it as well and calle it Sauce de Poison (sp). It is the same thing. Be careful as both Tat and Iron Chef have stated. Used in the right amount, it adds a wonderful flavor to many dishes. But use a litte too much and it can ruin the meal. It's like sesame oil that has been squeesed from roasted sesame seeds. A little goes a long way.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None