"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
View Poll Results: What is your favorite pasta sauce?
Classic tomato based sauce with meat 30 48.39%
Classic tomato based sauce without meat 12 19.35%
Alfredo 14 22.58%
Pesto 9 14.52%
other 12 19.35%
Spaghetti? I hate pasta. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

of course chica. meatballs were one of the first things that i learned to make when i was forcibly thrust from the nest.

one of the old italian guys that i work with gave me his mama's recipe, a classic. i've tasted rocco dispirito's mother's meatballs, and they can't hold a candle to mine.
unfortunately, most of it is made by eye, and how it feels.
i make them every year for my dept.'s christmas party, along with the sunday gravy. i will have to write down the exact amounts of everything so i can post an accurate recipe.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #32
Executive Chef

My aunt who married into an Italian family makes a very good sauce. She uses onions, garlic, pureed tomatoes, basil, meat balls, pork chops and veal chops and I can't remember the rest. She makes a huge pot and divides it into quart jars and freezes it.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Wow,I could never pick a favorite pasta.Personally I find being Canadian and having 4 distinctive seasons that inevitably I get cravings for different pasta.
In the fall when the temp is getting closer to freezing everyday I'm starting to think on the heavy side like a diablo and when it's really cold a carbonara
is heaven.Not to mention a gorgonzola cream sauce with sundried tomatoes and orrechietta. Spring and summer I'm thinking all things veg and just go nuts in August for fresh tomatoes and use them every which way I can.A simple wine and vongole pasta or an aglio e olio or a roasted garlic,rapini and
ricotta salata pasta.....and it's really funny how I've been thinking carbonara lately,looks like it's going to be sooner than later.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

foodaholic, i've "heard" that the gorgonzola/sundried tomato sauce is a winner.

sorry, couldn't resist.

but seriously, do you have a recipe for such?
and for the garlic/rapini (?)/ricotta salata pasta?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #35
Sous Chef

My mother makes wonderful tomato based sauce with meat. We like on small rigatoni.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

clear butter and freshly grated truffle, add parmesan.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We tried something completely new yesterday for dinner and it was soooo delicious and simple.

We cracked a couple of eggs and beat them, then chopped up some fresh mozzarella. We tossed these two all together with piping hot pasta, just sautčed up vegs (we used finely chopped onion, carrot, tomatoes and broccoli) and a little salt and cayenne pepper.

This was one of our most satisfying impromptu inventions!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #38
Master Chef

I love pasta with any kind of sauce...even just butter, garlic, cheese and S&P.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
foodaholic, i've "heard" that the gorgonzola/sundried tomato sauce is a winner.

sorry, couldn't resist.

but seriously, do you have a recipe for such?
and for the garlic/rapini (?)/ricotta salata pasta?
Verrrrry sneeeeky bucky. Recipe,what's that?Seriously though, I really don't use recipes 99% of the time.

Gorgonzola/Sundried: This is basically a cream sauce.I usually saute some slivered garlic and shallot until soft over a fairly low heat in eevo/butter.Add the sundried tomatoes (I actually use my oven dried/olive oil tomatoes) and some small diced baby eggplant and saute for a few minutes.turn up the heat and add 35% cream and bring to a boil,then simmer and reduce a little.Add any herb that is available and you like(savory,marjoram are my preferences)add the gorgonzola ( a little goes a long way) and add some grated lemon peel.Also if you have the time and patience lemon pearls(that's what I call them) which are the individually enclosed lemon pieces within a section of lemon.Season to taste and add the cooked orrechietta.

Roasted garlic/Rapini : In eevo over a fairly low/medium heat saute some rapini (broccoli rabe) and portobello mushrooms until 50 % cooked turn up the heat and add some chicken stock (brown chicken stock if you have it) and only enough that when it has mostly reduced the rapini and mushrooms are
fully cooked.Add some garlic that has been roasted but only to a medium soft stage (still holds together well) Add some pear or cherry tomatoes that have been halfed or quartered and saute for a minute,then add about 10% by volume of the total recipe with a pureed tomato base ( I like san marzano whole tomatoes for this type of application) add a pasta,for this dish I like maltagliati (means poorly cut pasta in Italian),again add some parsley or herbs of your choice and grate/mandoline some ricotta salata over the pasta and of course don't forget to season as you go.Use some tomato water/juice if too dry when
near the end of the preparation.

If you find these instructions too vague and need actual recipes,I could format it.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks foodaholic. they look really good. the gorgonzola one is on deck for next week. i'll be on vacation, and besides a backpacking trip, i plan to try a lot of new recipes.
actually, i like recipes written as you would speak to describe it. that's the way i usually write them down.
i've never heard of broccoli di rape, or broccoli rabe referred to as rapini. i guess, with the ini, it means very young and small broccoli heads.

oh, the citrus pearls that i think you were referring to are also known as the supreme of the fruit. i slice an orange every day for my son that way. he tends to choke on even the slightest pith or rind.

Tags
None