What sauce to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abaco

Assistant Cook
I made dinner last night using a chicken breast pounded flat and then I layered on prochuto (sp) ham and homemade pesto (basil and sun dried tomato) before rolling and holding it together with toothpicks. I browned it in a pan and finished it in the oven. Next time I'd like to add a sauce. Any recomendations?

Just so you'll know it's spelled proscuitto (not exactly how it's pronounced is it!!)LOL

Maybe next time you can roll the basil and proscuitto together and either tie or secure with toothpick, saute until done, then top with a mild pesto/butter sauce. You can even reduce some white wine with some shallots in it (salt/pepper/garlic of course) and when it's reduced by about half stir in some butter to give it some body and add some pesto. Or you could use the wine/butter/pesto sauce to toss some pasta in and serve the rolled up chicken with this pasta.

Does this answer your question? It sounds like a great dish!!

You could leave your recipe unchanged and make a good, simple, fresh, marinara sauce to serve it with. the acidity and sweetness of the tomatoes should balance nicely against the salt, oil and garlic of the pesto. PLUS! Tomatoes and basil! 'Nuff said!

I personally would go with one of the following:

Bechamel Sauce..maybe put some shallots and white wine

Veloute..same as above

or for something a little different, a nice Beurre Blanc sauce

Just think of whatever you feel would go good with the dish and make a sauce with it.

Happy Sauceing :)

well since you've "sort of" made a version of saltimbocca, you could do a simple white wine and chicken stock reduction with the browned chicken bits on the bottom of the pan. From there you can go with many different flavors: lemon and capers, rosemary and black peppercor, provencal herbs, honey and dijon mustard, thyme and nicoise olives...tons of combinations

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom