"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #41
Master Chef

To answer your question, Pac, I make two kinds of sauces.
The meat sauce is nearly an all day event, but your question was about my simple Marina sauce.
Like Bucky and Bea I can get it done in about 20min. and the contents are just about like Bea's with a couple of additions.
Equal amounts of diced white onion, chopped celery along with mushrooms if I have them....
Saute in
Olive oil
Garlic clove
Hot pepper flakes
Can of Crushed Tomato
Basil
Oregano
splash of red wine

Simmer about 20 min.

The onion and celery is mandatory in my quick sauce.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Dang. Twenty to thirty minutes, guys? ... I must be cooking on too low a heat. I can never get it to reduce that fast.
Turn that fire up Buddy!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear ya!
I sauté fast, but I must turn down the heat too much after that. Good tip. It's probably a holdover from hearing people say their sauces take all day.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #44
Master Chef

Pac,

Try making it in a deep frying pan. The increased surface area will help speed up the reduction for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #45
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
In the winter I make large batches of sauce and homemade meatballs every couple of months, and store in the freezer. In the summer I usually buy a jarred sauce, as I don't want to deal with a long simmering sauce in the summer, it'll heat up my tiny kitchen, and I am not in the mood for that kind of cooking in the summer, I'm weird that way, LOL.

When I do buy jarred sauce, my go-to sauce is Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Marinara. I've tried their regular marinara and wasn't crazy about it, but this one is good.
In the summer, I chop fresh tomatoes, garlic & some fresh herbs. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. When the pasta has cooked al dente, I drain it roughly and pour the hot pasta on top the bowl of veggies. Let it sit 3-5 minutes, then toss and serve with a hunk of grating cheese on the side. My tiny kitchen stays cool.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #46
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Dang. Twenty to thirty minutes, guys? ... I must be cooking on too low a heat. I can never get it to reduce that fast.
My summer pasta sauces tend to be very quick and light. I use fresh ingredients, not canned, and prefer them chunky and barely cooked (preserves the vitamins and nutrients). Just a quick saute and toss with hot pasta.

Quick Sauce for Pasta

1 tbsp EVOO
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
1 8 oz. carton of mushrooms, sliced
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
pinch dried red pepper flakes
3 large ripe tomatoes, rough chopped (if using smaller roma tomatoes, it will take about 6)
1/4 c. dry wine, red or white (I use whatever is in the fridge. You can also use brandy in a pinch.)
1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
12 oz. pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions
Salt and pepper to taste
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce, optional

Saute bell pepper and onion in oil over medium high heat for 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add mushrooms, and cook for a couple of minutes longer. Add garlic and pepper flakes; saute for about 30 seconds.

Add tomatoes and wine. Cook until tomatoes just start to break down and some of the liquid has cooked off. Maybe 5 minutes. Season to taste. Add to a large serving bowl, and toss with noodles and fresh basil.

Note: This recipe makes a chunky sauce, without a lot of liquid. If you prefer more of a gravy type marinara, add a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce at the same time you add the fresh tomatoes.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Some real nice sounding quick pasta "sauce" recipes here. I prefer a traditional sauce for spaghetti, but I can see me making your chunky sauce Steve and tossing it with some penne.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune

In the summer, I chop fresh tomatoes, garlic & some fresh herbs. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. When the pasta has cooked al dente, I drain it roughly and pour the hot pasta on top the bowl of veggies. Let it sit 3-5 minutes, then toss and serve with a hunk of grating cheese on the side. My tiny kitchen stays cool.
Problem is, I don't care for chunky tomato sauce, it's a weird texture issue I have. I don't like tomatoes, but I love tomato sauce, tomato soup, ketchup, etc...... I have odd preferences, lol!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
In the summer I usually buy a jarred sauce, as I don't want to deal with a long simmering sauce in the summer, it'll heat up my tiny kitchen, and I am not in the mood for that kind of cooking in the summer, I'm weird that way, LOL.
I've got two words for you. One is CROCK, and the other is POT!

Just reduce the amount of water you put in your sauce until it's the consistency you want to finish with, because it's not going to cook down in the crock pot.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #50
Wine Guy

Quote:
Problem is, I don't care for chunky tomato sauce, it's a weird texture issue I have. I don't like tomatoes, but I love tomato sauce, tomato soup, ketchup, etc...... I have odd preferences, lol!
In that case, an immersion blender should do the trick.

Tags
None