"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #51
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Problem is, I don't care for chunky tomato sauce, it's a weird texture issue I have. I don't like tomatoes, but I love tomato sauce, tomato soup, ketchup, etc...... I have odd preferences, lol!
In that case, buy tomato puree.

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #52
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
In that case, an immersion blender should do the trick.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #53
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I do make an occasional quick sauce from crushed tomatoes, but when I want a more hearty sauce, the Trader Joe's sauce does the trick, tastes great and is an all natural product.

I have no problem using sauce from a jar if I like the flavor, and it is a natural product, one where the list of ingredients is small, you know where it looks more like food than a chemistry experiment.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #54
Head Chef
Ive been growing my own tomatoes, and making my own sauce for 20 + years, But when going for extreme convenience, I always have a few cans of " Don Pepino's " sauce laying around. Comes in a yellow can ( either 14 or 28 ounces). Tastes pretty good without any doctoring up ( in my opinion). I never thought I'd admit to liking a pre-made sauce, especially out of a can, until i tasted this sauce. Great for making Pizza too.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #55
Head Chef
Other than Tomato season I use Hunts plain tomato sauce. I season, add meatballs and simmer. That is the way I have always made it. Prego, Ragu
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Other than Tomato season I use Hunts plain tomato sauce. I season, add meatballs and simmer. That is the way I have always made it. Prego, Ragu
You know, I decided not to post what I started typing earlier, but seeing as how you did Patty .
I was going to say the same thing (without the yuk face) about canned sauce. So I'll say it. I swear I can taste the difference of any pre-made or seasoned sauce that comes out of a can, be it spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce. Give me jar or give me death I've tried several recommendations on canned sauces and they all tasted "tinny" to me.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #57
Executive Chef
We keep a couple of jars for hurricane supplies. Don't recall ever actually using them except after a hurricane. Don't even know what "style" they are. Usually they get donated after the season, unless used, which thankfully isn't very often.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #58
Head Chef
Hunts canned sauce with my own seasoning. I don't like the jarred stuff.
jusnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #59
Assistant Cook
I agree, fresh made is best, but when I do use a commercial sauce, I find Bertolli Vidalia Onion and Roasted Garlic to be a pretty darn good base. Still do a little doctoring, but it's the
best we've found for our tastes.
barbieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
Went to one of those "food tasting" parties yesterday. One of the dishes was a chicken dish that used marinara sauce. The dish was very tasty, EXCEPT, salty. The marinara sauce used was very salty (to me) (we tasted the ingredients independently before assembling the dish). None of the others thought it was salty...anyway, I haven't eaten canned/jarred tomatoes or sauce in years and was really surprised how salty it was (and how much sodium) it contained.

I'm harvesting tomatoes from now until the first frost. I am addicted to tomato chips (dehydrated tomato slices). I can taste the sodium in those chips, even though I don't add any salt. I have also been drinking gallons of tomato juice--again, I can taste the sodium, even though there is none added, but neither of these (chips or juice) is nearly as salty as that canned sauce was. I'll make the recipe, but I'll use homemade sauce, thank you very much.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote