"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #61
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
classico tomato basil was the jarred sauce I used to doctor. Then I bought cans of san marzano and made my own and it was an OMG moment. Then I bought bushels of tomatoes (2nds even) at the farm and made my own by roasting and using a food mill. In an emergency I could go to canned tomatoes again but not to jarred sauce. Gun to my head I would recommend the classico, but...
I agree.

And, doctored up:

Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

I did a search for the nutritional analysis of homemade marinara sauce per serving vs. canned...11.2 - 15 mg sodium for homemade vs. 320 - 430 mg for the canned varieties I searched. If that isn't an argument for continuing to make my own, I don't know what is. Small wonder I found the canned stuff used last night so salty.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

I started making my own sauce since I retired 11 years ago and very rarely would I but jarred. Recently I was in a rush and decided to buy a jar of "Clasico with sweet basil." I really liked it and found myself getting lazy and buying it the last three times I made Italian dishes.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

what does ben franklin think of classico sauces, grizzly?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Two years ago we had the snow falls and cold to end all, and I got caught w/ my pants down. And that ainít pretty, so to speak. Last winter I ďstocked upĒ . Could have worn shorts and flip flops most of the winter. Well, almost. Bought 4 jars Prego. I still have 3. I like prego, esp when itís doctored up. I also bought some cans san marzano tomatoes, whole , donít know how many. They are all gone. I guess I will buy some more of these for re-stocking as we ( meaning I) seem to prefer these the most .

Mostly, at this time of year, I like to chunk up some tomatoes, toss with some pasta, a little garlic, maybe some crisp cooked zuke slices, broccoli, green beans, whatever veggies. . Most everything is al dente, crisp and the tomatoes are straight off the vine. Toss in whatever fresh herbs and a little romano or parm or asiago. The only thing that gets cooked the most is the pasta. No two meals are alike and it is so good. Wish it were like this all year.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #66
Sous Chef

I kinda like Emeril's Roasted Gaaahlic and Gia Russa Vodka Sauce.

But these days I've been really honing my own tomato sauce down to what I think is perfect. For some reason I'm on a marinara kick and I just keep making batch after batch and giving it to people as a pseudo focus group, testing different formulas. So I haven't really bothered with jarred much. It's difficult to go back to a jarred sauce because you can just taste all the salt and sugar in it and it really puts the benefits of making your own in perspective.
I really enjoy the idea of knowing exactly what went into the sauce and that there's no "extra junk."
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

I prefer Prego Garden Chunky. It just doesn't pay for me to make my own anymore. I only use a couple of spoonfuls each time. I don't like a lot of gravy on my pasta. I use it mainly to keep the strands of pasta separated. I don't trust jar sauces that have meat in them. And if I want homemade gravy, I go to my daughter's house or she sends me a plate. She is a Pastene Devotee! Wouldn't dream of using any other canned tomato.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
It's difficult to go back to a jarred sauce because you can just taste all the salt and sugar in it and it really puts the benefits of making your own in perspective.
I really enjoy the idea of knowing exactly what went into the sauce and that there's no "extra junk."
+1
Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1
As least Prego has no corn crap in it.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a store brand that I really like and have been eating it for years, a couple different stores carry it under their own label. It has simple ingredients. It's a good lazy day sauce, or something quick when I run out of homemade in the freezer. Trader Joe's roasted garlic marinara is excellent too.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None