"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
I like Mornay sauce and Bearnaise sauce. I almost always have demi-glace of some sort in the freezer. And, usually have a fish/shellfish stock in the freezer as well.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
GotGarlic, thanks for that handy study guide! I realize that a lot of the cooking I do is based on sauces. Just never knew there was a name for them, I just cooked. I make most of the sauces mentioned except wine sauces.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
The iPad app didn't show your well prepped guide, GG, but when I went to the regular site, there it was! Thanks!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
A meat processor, whose processing establishment is about 20 miles or so from my home, gives away beef bones, if you ask for them. My neighbor used to race sled dogs, and regularly got bones from this processor. He gave me about 20 lbs. worth one day last summer, as he had too much for his dogs. The bones still had meat on them, and were fresh.

If you look around, you will find that many small farmers who raise and slaughter, and sell their own livestock, often just toss the bones, as few people want them anymore, and they don't have a large enough stock of them to sell to the large companies that use them for dog food and such. They often sell the bones for very cheap.

I just read about a lady in New York who has created a company that uses the cast-off bones from organic farmers who sell their product at farmer's markets, and makes sauces from them, including chicken, pork, beef, and lamb. She then cans the sauces and gives some back to the farmers, who sell them at market, and sells the rest herself to people who appreciate real stocks and broths.

I know that I'll be hitting up that meat processor for every kind of bone he will give me, including venison and bison.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North
What a great idea - thanks! As part of the master gardener program, I'll be helping to staff a table at the downtown farmer's market this year, so I'll be able to get to know the meat purveyors
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
PF and DL - great! I'm glad you like it :smiile:
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What a great idea - thanks! As part of the master gardener program, I'll be helping to staff a table at the downtown farmer's market this year, so I'll be able to get to know the meat purveyors
wouldn't that be downton farmer's market, gg?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
We love Hollandaise sauce
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I once wanted to make a chicken pot pie using leftover boneless/ skinless chicken. No gravy. I was brought up making pot pies w/ leftovers. Not enough gravy—add milk or a can cream soup as an extender. But No gravy to begin -- arghh. I made a veloute sauce. Didn’t know it at the time. This is a very useful sauce and quite often, I add milk or cream to make it richer.

A (very ) long time ago we were given a copy of the Joy of Cooking for a wedding present. It has an understandable section on sauces. The first sauce we made from the cookbook was a Hollandaise sauce for eggs benedict. This sauce soon became our fave, since the recipe worked. And you can drown anything in it for a gourmet dinner—asparagus and onward. I regret to confess in recent years I mostly use Knorr packaged Hollandaise. But at least I doctor it up when making by adding orange juice/ zest instead of lemon, or add different herbs. I guess when I do this, it becomes a quasi Bearnaise sauce, My DxW wanted to make homemade Mayo last summer, her first. Her fingers marched right back to the Joy and using a stick blender, I think, made the tastiest homemade mayo ever. I think she only makes homemade now. She says it’s easy,although I always read you need to add oil by drips and drops. Whatever, she has the touch. I haven’t tried to do this ( yet).

Reading and using this cookbook taught me to melt and swirl in a pat of butter to finish a sauce. Handy if you want to make it taste richer or just a little thicker. Also, we made our first homemade BBQ sauce, a very simple one at that, before I decided to get all complex and try to alter flavors with all kinds of spices. Maybe I should read these sections again !!

Of course reading the Joy of Cooking, or any resource, is only good if you continue to use it. I had to look up Sauce Espagnole . Nope, don’t think I have ever done this. Not sure what it is when you brown beef bones in the oven before making stock to make soup. Does this count? Where does Brown gravy, like for roasts or chops fit in the picture?

By far, I make most of my own salad dressings, Oil/ vinegar base with whatever herbs, garlic, a dollop of mustard or grated cheese or crumbled feta or blue cheese etc is wanted. Basic vinaigrette with changes to go with a meal or use what is in season in the garden.

Now, last, are there 5 or are there 6 Mother sauces? According to some references I read today, the sauces are Bechamel, Veloute, Hollandaise ( incl mayo), Espagnole and Vinaigrette. Tomato Sauce is added later. Not trying to introduce a controversy when there isn’t one. Maybe they count differently in French.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Master Chef
WhiskaDootle, you are right in stating the conundrum. Unfortunately, there are many who will argue between oil & vinegar sauces, and tomato sauce as being the 5th sauce. Me, I believe that there are six mother sauces, no matter what the schools teach.

I know that there are a great many more sauces than the traditional fve French sauces. I mean, what about sweet and sour sauce, or the lightly sweetened sauce that is in so many Asian recipes. What about soy sauce, or Maagi, or Worcestershire Sauce, or Steak Sauce, or, or, or...

I brought up this thread so we can get familiar with the Mother Sauces and their small sauces. Once we're comfortable with these, we can move on to other sauces from other parts of the world.

Here's a favorite sauce for me. It's a vinaigrette derivative.

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sunflower, safflower, or other neutral flavored oil
3 tbs. seedless raspberry, or blueberry puree
1/8 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. sweetener ((I use Stevia) optional)

I love fruity vinaigrette on a garden salad.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thumbing through my culinary school notebook, I found a handy handout - Sauce-Building Techniques Study Guide. I reorganized, rewrote and reformatted the handout - it sucked. But here it is. It's a teeny description (not recipes) of the mother sauces and popular derivatives. Hope it's helpful.
I made a chicken stew for supper tonight using a Veloute`. Blonde roux with chicken stock.

Thanks for the wonderful guide. Simple concise. Will have fun with it every chance I get.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote

other, sauce