White BBQ Sauce From Alabama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Happened to catch a Paula Deen show yesterday in which she visited various locations (Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama) to sample the regional barbecue.

I was happy to see that she visited the Memphis in May BBQ contest that I used to participate in and that the cameras even caught shots of my old team (Parrothead Porkers) and our buddies on the Swine and Dine team.

The most interesting part, though, was this white barbecue sauce they make down in Alabama. Mayo is the basic ingredient, and the other ingredients included lemon juice, vinegar (I think), various spices, and possibly other stuff. What you do is dunk barbecued (i.e., smoked on the grill) chicken in it. Paula went nuts for it.

I've never heard of this one before. Has anybody made it or tasted it?

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple white bbq sauce recipes posted here.

Big Bob Gibson is known for his white bbq sauce. We have never tried it, but hear it is great on chicken.

Big Bob's Gibson's White Sauce
Recipe courtesy Bob Gibson's BBQ

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yield: about 1 cup
User Rating: 4 Stars

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

Dumb question here but would change the flavor and the tangy-ness! Are we talking Hellman's or Miracle Whip? I suppose both would be good. This sounds great and so different. I get tired of the tomato/vinegar sauces and would really like to try this sometime this week. It's October and in MI we are supposed to have beautiful COOL weather, 85 degrees just doesn't cut it in my book! I want to fire up the grill a few more times b4 I have to put it away! Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

It could be Duke's. Not sure if Duke's is sold in that part of the South.

Raine, we do have Duke's here in the Low Country! I don't know which she uses, tho - but pretty sure it's not Miracle Whip!

Constance...thanks. I was not sure which one would be best. Depends on if one wants tangy-zip or richness! I think the richness would be best. Thanks again.

Half Baked said:
Miracle Whip is too sweet (and weird tasting), to me. I'm a mayo gal.:-p
Iam a mircle whip fan- (raised on it), mayo is more of a southern favorite- but it can be heated when cooking -- shouldn't heat Miracle Whip.

This is our favorite in New York State I would think it would be close to that being the oil for the mayo - but I am certainly going to try yours.
CORNELL BARBECUE SAUCE
(enough for 10 halves)
1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
Add all into a blender w/ the top on.
pour over the chicken to marniate saving some to baste with.
Brush sauce on the broiler halves every few minutes during cooking.
The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. Like splitting 1/2 and 1/2 of the vineger with lemon juice or added some rosemary and garlic. and yes the salt is right. It isn't salty when it is done.
Leftover sauce can be stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Note: Sauce that the chicken hasn't been in.

Back
Top Bottom