White garlicy sauce found in Mediterranean dishes (Tzatziki?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I love this sauce when I go to Greek restaurants. Does anyone know how to make this? Any version would be great! :D

I don't know which you are looking for. The first is my favorite and is much richer.

Taramosalata
2 Slices whole wheat bread, crust removed
2 tb Milk
1/2 lb Smoked cod roe
6 tb Olive oil
2 tb Lemon juice
2 Garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
1/2 c Heavy cream plus 2 tb Heavy cream
2 tb Parsley, fresh, chopped
Pepper to taste
Paprika for garnish

1.Place the bread in a shallow dish, sprinkle the milk over and leave to soak.
2.Using a spoon or knife, scrape the cod roe out of its skin and into a food processor or blender.
3.Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and bread, and puree until smooth. Beat the cream until it thickens but is not stiff.
4.Place the cod roe mixture into a bowl, fold in cream and parsley until well mixed. Season with black pepper. Place mixture into a serving dish and garnish with paprika. Serve with hot pita bread.

Tzaziki
2 c Plain full fat yogurt
1 tb finely pureed garlic
1 ts Sea salt
2 Cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated roughly
Fresh ground black pepper
2 ts Olive oil
Fresh mint leaves for garnish

1.Drain yogurt for 1 hour in a cheesecloth lined strainer to remove some of its water.
2.In a bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3.Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt over the grated cucumber and drain, 10-15 minutes, to extract excess water.
4.Add drained cucumber to yogurt, along with pepper, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with mint leaves. Serve with pita triangles.

It is made with plain yogurt,(well drained) lots of garlic, crushed, some salt, lemon juice. I usually cut up my cucumbers, and let them drain for a bit before mixing with the remaining ingredients. I love the stuff and could eat it with a spoon.

A good thing to use it with is :
1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 lge. clove garlic, minced
2 large red or yellow pepers, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme leaves
fresh ground black pepper
4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 large whole wheat pitas
8 scallions sliced

1. Heat large skillet over med. heat. Add a little olive oil amd saute turkey until it begins to brown, Break it up as you stir.
2. Add onion through pepper and cook until veges. soften.
3. Add vinegar and cook to reduce liquid. I usually taste and adjust vinegar and seasonings at this point.
4. Cut warmed pitas in half . Spoon meat mixture into each half and top with tzatziki, Sliced tomato (opt) and sliced scallions.

Very messy, but sooooo good.

Back
Top Bottom