"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
Master Chef
Your favorite sauce recipe?

my favorite is the old classic hollandaise. i love it. i love it on green veggies and poached eggs and prefer it to bernaise for filet.
i make it by melting a stick of butter, then putting 3 egg yolks into my smallest pot and setting that over an identical pot kept at barely a simmer. a homemade double boiler.
then i use a little 2 ounce gravy ladle to add in a little butter at a time, then whisk, then add more butter, and so on. i remove it from the heat a few times throughout cooking.
once it's nice and thick, i microwave a lemon for up to 15 seconds, roll it on the counter and squeeze half of it into the sauce, along with a pinch of white pepper. i don't add salt but you can.
can we hear your favorites?

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru

I find the easiest way to describe it is a Mexican Curry with chocolate for added bitterness and sweetness. Put some of that on chicken or turkey or pork or even just freshly prepared beans, serve with rice and tortillas and you've got yourself one of the most elegant and delicious meals ever.

Chicken Mole
From The Good Food: Soups, Stews and Pastas (Canada, UK), by Daniel Halpern and Julie Strand.

The chocolate in this classic Mexican dish makes for a very rich, somewhat mysterious and delicious sauce. We first tasted mole in Cuernavaca, where it was prepared by a superb local cook, whose dark sauce was the consistency of heavy cream. We have been disappointed since by the watery versions served in many American Mexican restaurants, but have found that the sauce is not difficult to master at home.

4 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp sunflower kernels
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp aniseeds
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/3 cup chili powder
1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, drained, seeded, and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tortilla, torn into small pieces
3 cups chicken stock
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
4 whole chicken breasts, split
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
Garnish: chopped fresh coriander

In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil over moderate heat and in it cook the sunflower kernels, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, aniseeds, and almonds, stirring constantly until the sesame seeds and almonds are golden, 2 or 3 minutes. Purée the mixture in a food processor.

Add to the processor the raisins, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, chili powder, tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, the tortilla, and 1/2 cup of the stock and purée until smooth.

Transfer the purée to a saucepan. Stir in the remaining 2-1/2 cups stock, bring the sauce to a simmer, and add the chocolate. Cook the sauce at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, to melt the chocolate.

While the sauce is simmering, rinse the chicken quickly in cold water and dry with paper towels. In a large casserole, heat the remaining 3 Tbsp oil over moderately high heat and in it sauté the chicken in batches until each piece is golden brown on all sides. Set the pieces aside on a plate as done.

Put the chicken and any accumulated juices in a flameproof casserole, placing the dark meat on the bottom. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.

Place the chicken on a warm serving platter. Pour the sauce over the chicken, garnish with the chopped fresh coriander, and serve.

Yield: Serves 8 to 10

My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Master Chef
I don't make many sauces, so when I do I like to keep it simple. One of my favorites is Chile Verde.

10 tomatillos
1 bunch of cilantro
2-3 garlic cloves
2 jalapenos
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree.

I usually add shredded pork to the sauce and simmer it on the stove for about 20 minutes.

I also like the basic wine butter garlic sauce with a few capers thrown in. Chicken piccata is one of my favorite dishes.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I just made my first mustard sauce...We had it over grilled beef filets and I was surprised how well it turned out and how easy it was to do...
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Master Chef
I like to play with all kinds of sauces ... but my favorite would have to be simple milk gravy.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I like to play with all kinds of sauces ... but my favorite would have to be simple milk gravy.
I second that.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #7
Executive Chef
For it's pure versatility, and the amount and impact of the different flavors you can impart in it, my favorite would be a beurre blanc. The classic recipe calls for tarragon vinegar and no cream, but you can't store the sauce that way. If you incorporate cream into the sauce, it can hold in the refrigerator for one reheating.

Beurre Blanc Base

Yield: 3 cups

3 shallots, finely chopped
3/4 c. dry White Wine
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
2 c. Heavy Cream
2 c. cold Unsalted Butter, cut into 1" cubes
Kosher Salt to taste

In a saucepan, combine the shallots, wine, and lemon juice. Reduce until there is approximately 3 Tbsp. of liquid remaining. Add the heavy cream, and gently reduce by half. Whisk in the butter 2-3 cubes at a time, or transfer to a blender and blend/whisk until all of the butter is incorporated. From here, use your creativity and imagination to make a multitude of different sauces.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Master Chef
My favorite is White Sauce (which I think is the same as your milk gravy, Michael) because it can be varied in so many ways.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Mine would be a Port and Stilton sauce I do for steak which is always very well received, even by those who say they don't like blue cheese.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
Head Chef
I make a mustard sauce for chicken fillets by frying some wholegrain mustard in a little butter then adding sour cream and cooking for a bit longer, even my kids like it.

There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote