A more specific question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The cooker man

Assistant Cook
So in my new meme post, I asked a general question about issues people had with their kitchen appliance, some people saido this may have been too vague a question, so I wanted to ask a more specific one.

A new thing which some manufacturers are trying to introduce is easy clean ovens, what's people's general thoughts on this?

Thanks again

TCM

Not sure what you mean by easy clean. I've had a self-cleaning oven for 40-50 years (not the same one).

Andy, my new one has an easy clean feature. Basically you spray the interior with water and allow it to steam clean. Only works on small messes. Something I had figured out already, I did not buy this stove for the easy clean feature.

It's not a feature...it's something added on that tries to make people think they need it. Basically, they gave me a spray bottle to fill with water and spray on myself, then clean as I normally would. No separate buttons or other controls for it.

A new thing which some manufacturers are trying to introduce is easy clean ovens, what's people's general thoughts on this?

TCM

I'm also wondering what the difference is between Easy Clean and Self Cleaning?

Nothing self cleans as you need to finish the job but it makes it easier in the long run.

How much easier does this new "trend/marketing ploy." make life easier?

Do I just toss the whole oven in the washer or hook it up to the vacuum cleaner?;)

I'll need to know how it works before I can decide if it's worth spending my money on it over what I already know how and why it works.

But this thread has made me think that my self cleaning oven needs to be cleaned and the temps are going down to 20 degrees tonight so I might as well go for it to help in the heating costs a tiny bit. :mrgreen:

No punch line. I didn't know what easy clean was so I was asking. Is the interior of the oven coated or a different surface from the normal porcelain?

I just meant the bit about having a self clean 1 for 40 - 50 years, I didn't know they had been out that long, is it a feature worth having?

Yes, the easy clean is just a coating which makes it easier to clean, it's a nano coating

Andy, my new one has an easy clean feature. Basically you spray the interior with water and allow it to steam clean. Only works on small messes. Something I had figured out already, I did not buy this stove for the easy clean feature.

Oh ok, So a bit more of a gimmick than a worth while feature then would you say?

I just meant the bit about having a self clean 1 for 40 - 50 years, I didn't know they had been out that long, is it a feature worth having?...

Self-cleaning ovens were introduced in 1963.

Absolutely worth having! When you consider the alternative is to get down on your knees and apply, then remove, thick coats of hazardous chemicals that cause you to cough and gasp for air, just flipping a switch is heavenly.

Self-cleaning ovens were introduced in 1963.

Absolutely worth having! When you consider the alternative is to get down on your knees and apply, then remove, thick coats of hazardous chemicals that cause you to cough and gasp for air, just flipping a switch is heavenly.

+1!

I prefer to have an oven with a self-cleaning setting. Basically, as I understand how it works, it has been about since the sixties and just runs the oven at a very high temperature and pulverizes everything to ash. Most ovens with a self-clean also have a locking feature, as they have to cool down slowly otherwise you will crack the steel on on the oven.

I will say EVERY TIME I have used this I am nervous, it takes several hours, and I wouldn't use it in an unattended apartment. I watch it like a hawk, take everything out of the boiler plate drawer below, clean as much out as I can first etc...

However, it is better than getting in there with steel wool, rubber gloves and oven cleaner. It is not a cure all.

So Cooker Man? OK you mention nano, which is cool, and a new technology, I'd want to know how it works, why, and what the limits are. One of the reasons? Darn Teflon.

This was supposed to be THE miracle material, nothing stuck to it. Now I'd say it is sprayed a lot on lower quality aluminium pans. I haven't had ANY teflon pan that can get close to the non-stick of my lodge cast iron pan. Now mine is well seasoned, but there is a hydrophobic coating on that from interactions of iron, hydrocarbons, and water at high heat that makes a teflon pan look like garbage, and the teflon scratches, you can't use a metal spatula, it sublimes, and gets into your food. Have you ever seen a twenty year old teflon pan?

So a nano coating? OK would it wear off, would it sublime into the thing being cooked, nano is small, it is a thin coating, if it is damaged in part, would it be damaged in whole? What is the base on, aluminum? heats up quick but has hot spots, and is uneven, copper? corrodes with acid based sauces, iron? why not use cast iron, titanium? great can we afford it? Stainless steel, a good middle ground, they call it stainless because it is tough to get things to react to it, can you get a nano coating to stick?

I mainly use cast iron lodge products, I have a carbon steel wok, which was a pain in the arse to get conditioned, but now is performing well. I use all clad aluminium sauce pans, they are solidly constructed to give a good heat profile. I have a couple enameled pieces that I use in the oven. My perfect pan on gas and electric burner is a seasoned lodge cast iron pan. The only reason these aren't used in restaurants regular is that they have a curve, it takes a while for them to get to temperature, and a while for them to cool off as they retain heat. While this is a benefit for a home cook, a restaurant line wants timely control over temperature, so they go to stainless or aluminim.

I think if we are talking a coating, my main thing is durability. It might be the best thing ever for 10 uses, but pans get used. Scraped with spatulas, heated up to 450 and quickly cooled to room temperature. That was the problem with Teflon coatings, they gave a slight better than a poorly seasoned cast iron or carbon steel skillet, but the coating would degrade rapidly under heavy use.

I gave up the last of my teflon coated 'non-stick' pots and pans in my last move. Stopped using them, they were all jacked up, and I am in the process of trying to replace all my plastic spatulas, spoons, etc, which all are burned and melted a bit, with decent alternatives for decent pots and pans.

Things sticking to the pan are more often technique than materiel. My lodge 12" skillet is so seasoned right now, I could dump a cup of distilled water on it, shake it thrice, and it would be dry enough I could run a kleenex over it and it would be dry. A good seasoned cast iron is quite hydrophobic.

I prefer to have an oven with a self-cleaning setting. Basically, as I understand how it works, it has been about since the sixties and just runs the oven at a very high temperature and pulverizes everything to ash. Most ovens with a self-clean also have a locking feature, as they have to cool down slowly otherwise you will crack the steel on on the oven.

I will say EVERY TIME I have used this I am nervous, it takes several hours, and I wouldn't use it in an unattended apartment. I watch it like a hawk, take everything out of the boiler plate drawer below, clean as much out as I can first etc...

However, it is better than getting in there with steel wool, rubber gloves and oven cleaner. It is not a cure all.

So Cooker Man? OK you mention nano, which is cool, and a new technology, I'd want to know how it works, why, and what the limits are. One of the reasons? Darn Teflon.

This was supposed to be THE miracle material, nothing stuck to it. Now I'd say it is sprayed a lot on lower quality aluminium pans. I haven't had ANY teflon pan that can get close to the non-stick of my lodge cast iron pan. Now mine is well seasoned, but there is a hydrophobic coating on that from interactions of iron, hydrocarbons, and water at high heat that makes a teflon pan look like garbage, and the teflon scratches, you can't use a metal spatula, it sublimes, and gets into your food. Have you ever seen a twenty year old teflon pan?

So a nano coating? OK would it wear off, would it sublime into the thing being cooked, nano is small, it is a thin coating, if it is damaged in part, would it be damaged in whole? What is the base on, aluminum? heats up quick but has hot spots, and is uneven, copper? corrodes with acid based sauces, iron? why not use cast iron, titanium? great can we afford it? Stainless steel, a good middle ground, they call it stainless because it is tough to get things to react to it, can you get a nano coating to stick?

I mainly use cast iron lodge products, I have a carbon steel wok, which was a pain in the arse to get conditioned, but now is performing well. I use all clad aluminium sauce pans, they are solidly constructed to give a good heat profile. I have a couple enameled pieces that I use in the oven. My perfect pan on gas and electric burner is a seasoned lodge cast iron pan. The only reason these aren't used in restaurants regular is that they have a curve, it takes a while for them to get to temperature, and a while for them to cool off as they retain heat. While this is a benefit for a home cook, a restaurant line wants timely control over temperature, so they go to stainless or aluminim.

I think if we are talking a coating, my main thing is durability. It might be the best thing ever for 10 uses, but pans get used. Scraped with spatulas, heated up to 450 and quickly cooled to room temperature. That was the problem with Teflon coatings, they gave a slight better than a poorly seasoned cast iron or carbon steel skillet, but the coating would degrade rapidly under heavy use.

I gave up the last of my teflon coated 'non-stick' pots and pans in my last move. Stopped using them, they were all jacked up, and I am in the process of trying to replace all my plastic spatulas, spoons, etc, which all are burned and melted a bit, with decent alternatives for decent pots and pans.

Things sticking to the pan are more often technique than materiel. My lodge 12" skillet is so seasoned right now, I could dump a cup of distilled water on it, shake it thrice, and it would be dry enough I could run a kleenex over it and it would be dry. A good seasoned cast iron is quite hydrophobic.

Thank you for your indepth reply, I will respond fully soon, just wanted to send a quick reply so as not to be rude.

The self-cleaning setting is great for making pizza.

Hm. I would have never thought of that, but you're right. Doesn't it get up to around 500°? Sort of like a woodburning oven.

NO!

The self-cleaning cycle raises the temperature to 900ºF and locks the oven door shut until the temperature drops to a safe level (around 500ºF). You'd have to put the pizza in before the oven heated up to 900º then leave it in there until it cooled down. I think the pizza would be ash by then and your entire home would be filled with smoke.

...but that's just my opinion.

NO!

The self-cleaning cycle raises the temperature to 900ºF and locks the oven door shut until the temperature drops to a safe level (around 500ºF). You'd have to put the pizza in before the oven heated up to 900º then leave it in there until it cooled down. I think the pizza would be ash by then and your entire home would be filled with smoke.

...but that's just my opinion.

OK, backpedaling. It is probably NOT a good idea then.

Back
Top Bottom