"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
View Poll Results: do you have a microwave?
i dont have a microwave 13 25.00%
i have a microwave but i never use it 8 15.38%
yes i have a microwave and i use it all the time 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Master Chef
I use mine for all sorts of things: browning burger and sausage, sweating onions, cooking spaghetti sauce, making cheese dip, etc.
One thing I don't do is heat things in plastic containers (except the hard plastic made specifically for microwaves) because the plastic emits some chemical into your food that is supposedly a carcinogen.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by Constance
One thing I don't do is heat things in plastic containers (except the hard plastic made specifically for microwaves) because the plastic emits some chemical into your food that is supposedly a carcinogen.
Yep I am with you on this as well.

Just like any other tool in the kitchen, there are right ways to use it and incorrect ways to use it. You would not put a plastic bowl on your stovetop, for instance. I would not use plastic in a microwave either (unless it is the kind made for it).

When microwaves first started becoming popular, people thought they replaced every other cooking method. I think most people quickly realized that was not the case. If used for the right things though it can really be a great tool. That is not to say that it is necessary or that everyone will want to use it. I completely respect the people who do not like then and do not want to use them for anything.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
Senior Cook
My sig says it all.
I used a microwave once.....just once!
foodaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
Master Chef
we use our microwave to reheat leftovers and defreeze... and I usually cook the rice in it... It's quite simple and gives me more place on the stove...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #15
Master Chef
My mother is afraid of microwaves!

I have one and do not actually "cook" (as in finished dishes) with it but use it for prep work. Yesterday there was too much going on on the stove so I used the microwave to parboil carrots.

Also reheat leftovers -- though some leftovers are better reheated in the oven, I admit. But when you are dumping leftover chinese food on a paper plate, nothing is more efficient that the microwave to reheat.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #16
Head Chef
I don't really "cook" anything in my microwave.

I use it to reheat rice most of the time (cover the rice with a fairly damp paper towel and it comes out perfectly). I also may use it to reheat some stuff, but am just as likely to do that on top of the stove or in the oven.

I think that microwaved food has a different taste and texture and neither compare favorably to standard cooking methods.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
The microwave is just another tool in the kitchen. I don't attach any stigma to using one.

The closest I come to actual cooking in the microwave is steaming veggies for a side dish. We also use it to melt chocolate or to boil a cup of water for tea. Otherwise, like many of you, I use it to reheat and defrost.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #18
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Funny memory, I will never forget the episode of Dharma and Greg when her father is forced to use the microwave and he is across the room ducking behind the bar so as not to be zapped by any harmful rays.... I rarely use the microwave, unless I am reheating something. The defrost seems to partially cook stuff, and that drives me nuts, so I don't use it for that. hmmm, maybe i just need to read the manual.....
shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
Head Chef
I am going to echo many.

There are just the two of us, and it is hard to make a lot of foods for just two, and we love to cook.

So leftovers are plentiful.

And find the nuker very useful to warm the stuff up and it does not seem to cook the stuff, such as meat, as much as the oven during the warm up process. Just my opinion.

When we first got our first one, which is still working by the way, it was over twenty years ago.

When we first obtained ours, tried cooking with it and found it dismal for that use.

But to warm stuff and maybe a bit of prep heating, oh yes, and heating up frozen sliders, it works just fine for us.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon
If I had to give up either my stove and regular oven or my microwave, of course the microwave would go. However, I love it, and I do use mine quite a bit. Of course I reheat in it, plus I cook rice, "baked" (more like steamed) potatoes (only if I don't have time to bake them in the oven), some main dishes (I have a steamer dish that is good for ground beef/tomato dishes), and I bake some cakes in it.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote