"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
View Poll Results: do you have a microwave?
i dont have a microwave 13 25.00%
i have a microwave but i never use it 8 15.38%
yes i have a microwave and i use it all the time 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #21
Send a message via AIM to hellschef
popcorn and to warm the coffee, thats about the only use i have for it technology scares me

hellschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
Sous Chef
I'll use it for leftovers, popcorn and to precook things like baked potatoes before I put them in the oven to finish.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #23
Head Chef
To each their own. =) I didn't say that microwaves were horrible and should be abolished. I said that *I* didn't care for the taste or texture of things cooked in it. If it works for you, super! Nuke away.

The beauty of cooking is that there is no right or wrong, there is only what makes your tastebuds sing.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #24
Senior Cook
gosh, reading a couple of these responses makes me want to clarify that i am not "against" the microwave. ive just never really used one and i guess im not used to the flavor of microwaved food. people that i know seem to think that it is unusual that i dont have one, and i was curious to see how many other people out there dont have a microwave. im sure that it is a very useful kitchen tool for some...
HappyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I used to have one but it just died on me. It was a good one that lasted over 12 years.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #26
Executive Chef
There isn't much that I cook totally in the microwave. We use it every day for one thing or another, usually reheating. Dh does lots of coffee in it. I don't drink reheated coffee at all. I use it when I bake - to melt butter, heat water, etc. I make tea in it. I've heard rice is great but I haven't done that. I wouldn't be without one tho.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #27
Executive Chef
I heat up my son's hot chocolate in the microwave. That's about it. I agree with you that it tastes funny. Even heating up leftovers, I do in the oven or on the stove. It takes more time but if I use the microwave I find I don't want to eat it because it's just not right. Sometimes if my tea gets cold I'll stick it in for 20 seconds but even that doesn't seem right. If this makes sense, when I make my tea on the stove it's a deep heat and in the microwave it's like it's only hot on the surface. It's not the same.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm a heating up and left-over user but never have I actually cooked something in it i.e., chicken, cake, etc.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #29
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Vyshtia Send a message via MSN to Vyshtia Send a message via Yahoo to Vyshtia
I used to use my microwave ALL the time. I didn't cook - so my source of food was canned foods/frozen dinners, etc..

Now that I'm cooking....and researching all sorts of stuff... I've only used my microwave rarely to heat up leftovers.

...But now I'm doing some extensive research and finding out all sorts of articles about how microwaving foods kills all the nutrients and upsets your physical "balance"...all sorts of bad stuff! I won't go into it here...but reading this stuff has gotten me quite worried...and if I find enough proof that this research is valid...I just may very well toss the microwave for good....
Vyshtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #30
Head Chef
We don't have one ... no room and I really don't miss it. Anything we need to reheat I can do in a pot on the stove or in the oven. We've had one on and off again since leaving home, depending on the place we were renting. Now that it's ours, I'm not willling to give up either a) the cupboard space above my stove or b) any counter space.
Call me crazy .. :)
Also, I've read that you shouldn't re-heat coffee in the microwave because it can become bad / toxic. Urban legend - probably but thought I'd throw it out there.
: ) JMediger

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote