"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK...displaying complete ignorance here...what is a pizza screen?

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...za_Screens.htm

Old 08-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Everymom

Thanks Bangbang. What is the advantage to using a screen vs a stone? Would you use them together? I am still looking for a good stone myself. I am wondering if this would be a better idea for me.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook

my experience and in discussions with other folks is that the sunbeam is underpowered in comparison to the KA...especially if you are going to make dough. go with the kitchenaid...always.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #14
Everymom

Hey Andy...why do you prefer the KA? I don't like the dough beater's shape...it tends toward overdoing the dough I thought. Are there regular dough HOOKS you can get for the KA?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #15
Sous Chef

The reason anybody doesn't like the KA for mixing doughs is they don't understand how the dough hook works. They don't realize that when the dough pulls up onto the hook, it's still being kneaded. If you want, you can push the dough off and start the machine again, but you don't have to.

My biggest gripe with the new generation of Sunbeam mixers is that they're made in China. I don't know about you, but I much prefer to keep Americans working in American factories instead of sending the money overseas and the American worker to the unemployment line. Aside from the global economic issue, I have gathered from reading other boards, that Chinese made kitchen appliance quality and reliability is spotty at best. If you're lucky, you'll get a good one. If not, your appliance will break soon after the warranty has expired.

My KA is pretty close to, if not more than, 30 years old.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:50 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

stand mixer

I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I use it all the time for break dough and it is great!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #17
Everymom

Thanks for the input on the dough paddle/hook issue. I am well aware of how it works...but that doesn't convince me that it is any better than what I currently use. To be honest, I have no idea whether my Sunbeam is new generation or not...it is about 13 years old and sees hard use daily. As to keeping it in America...well...I'm Canadian.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I will say this much about the KA. I find that cakes made with my KA come out better than cakes made with conventional mixers. The paddle just seems to do a better job of mixing cakes.

A whole generation or two have baked excellent cakes and other items with Sunbeam and other similar mixers. All I'm saying is I find that the KA does a superior job and much quicker. The other advantage with the KA that has nothing to do with it's mixing virtues or lack, there of, are the accessories you can purchase.

I find the food (meat) grinder the most used accessory I have. I use it often and I also use it to stuff sausages. If I made a lot of pasta, I'd certainly buy the pasta rollers. As it is, I don't make pasta all that often and my manual roller/cutter is just fine.

If you do a lot of jam or jelly making, the vegetable/fruit strainer works well. Pulp goes one place and seeds go another. I don't own this addition which works with the food grinder.

For some people the versatility of the KA is enough of a reason to go in that direction.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:33 AM   #19
Cook

TO be honest, the only things that I plan on will to my kids is my cast Iron skillits, and my knives. My KA is going to be burried with me :D
Old 08-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hey Andy...why do you prefer the KA? I don't like the dough beater's shape...it tends toward overdoing the dough I thought. Are there regular dough HOOKS you can get for the KA?
it's got plenty of power and it always works...and it always will.