"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

You have a spare look going. That's fine. I like that base, because I can change up the feel with changeable art. No pegboard. Can you imagine trying to clean a greasy pegboard? If that were my kitchen, and if I didn't want to make a major change in style, I would install some lighting for the range work area. And in such a small kitchen, I might think about painting a ferrous metal board (make sure a magnet sticks well) so I could stick up a recipe or note or magnet hooks. For a tough, scrubable surface, a powder coating outfit can do a very tough surface, and they offer a very wide variety of textures and colors.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

K-girl and Munky, where's the love for Lowe's?? Disclaimer: Our daughter works for Lowe's. Lowe's lets her pay her bills. It's nice to not have to support your kid. End of promo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
...My kitchen is really small and I have a small wall fan for ventilation. I want *something* behind my stove and I would prefer something other than tile....
Love the stove Kathleen. If you're hoping to remodel soon, maybe just painting behind the stove with a gloss paint to make it super-easy to wash? Maybe to mix it up you could use painter's tape to create a grid, checkerboard, or plaid pattern with the same yellow on the walls alternating with white.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...I thought this was a really cute idea, with using a vintage print vinyl tablecloth........check it out...

Budget Backsplash Project: Vintage Vinyl : Home Improvement : DIY Network
Kayelle, I read the article linked. The caption under the photo said "The vinyl is easy to keep clean but is not recommended for the area over the stove." I'm guessing they're afraid it could be a fire hazard. If you want to play it safe, you could probably cover it with the aforementioned piece of glass.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about steel pegboard? It comes in a variety of colors and sizes and is inexpensive.

Work Bench Systems | Adjustable Height | 18"W x 19"H Pegboard Panel-Blue | 249286BL - GlobalIndustrial.com

Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Regardless of a pegboard's material, I can't imagine I'd want one behind my stove. Too many holes that will collect crud.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

How about a Fathead? In case you're not familiar, Fatheads are plastic decals that you to your wall for purposes. The most popular ones are sports figures but they also have decorative ones. Check out this site: Murals from Photos | Photo Wall Murals from FatheadĀ®
Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a back splash painted with high-gloss paint and hung a platter from a trip to Mexico above it. Easy to clean both.

I agree that it would be a good idea to do something simple now and plan for something more elaborate when you re-do the kitchen. That way, you can really plan for it to go with the rest of the kitchen. I just saw a kitchen re-do on the website The Kitchn where someone had redone their kitchen but not planned for the area above the fridge. Now it looks like an afterthought, so she's having to figure out how to make it look like it belongs. Much better to plan the whole thing at once, if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	21620  
Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Master Chef

I LOVE that gorgeous platter GG!! It looks beautiful there, and you can always take it down if you want to use it for serving.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I LOVE that gorgeous platter GG!! It looks beautiful there, and you can always take it down if you want to use it for serving.
Thank you, Kayelle. I love it, too
Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love the platter, GG, so Mexico!