Backsplash Ideas beyond Tile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about steel pegboard? It comes in a variety of colors and sizes and is inexpensive.

Work Bench Systems | Adjustable Height | 18"W x 19"H Pegboard Panel-Blue | 249286BL - GlobalIndustrial.com

30WRK400BUW_Standard_Blue_Steel_Peg-Board_Tool_Organizer.jpg
My kitchen fitter wouldn't let me have hooks for hanging saucepans, utensils, etc., behind the cooker. He said it was dangerous (setting myself on fire, knocking a pan of boiling water over on yourself, etc., when I reached over the cooker to get them.)

My kitchen fitter wouldn't let me have hooks for hanging saucepans, utensils, etc., behind the cooker. He said it was dangerous (setting myself on fire, knocking a pan of boiling water over on yourself, etc., when I reached over the cooker to get them.)
That's a good point.

OMG, I love that stove!

I definitely agree that it should be something easy to wipe down.

I'm of no help here...

Let me see. What have I had behind my stove in various houses:

- enameled steel
- wallpaper
- tiles
- painted wall, both latex flat and semi-gloss enamel
- glass
- Plexiglass
- metal tiles

Sheesh! That's quite a list but it's accurate.

Of all of the situations, I much prefer the metal tiles, which is what we have now. They are 4-inches square and are put up "on point." They are brushed silver-colored aluminum and they are easy to keep clean. They also provide a bit of light "magnification," if you get what I mean. That's handy.

I have spent so many years cooking and wiping up behind the stove that it finally got to me and I decided there had to be something that was nice to look at, low maintenance, easy application, and wouldn't break the bank.

I did some amount of looking around and discovered the metal tiles, I don't remember where, but learned I could buy them from Amazon. I wanted the silver finish, but they also came in copper and black. Maybe white, too. I don't remember. I ordered enough to fill the space behind my stove.

They were easy to put up. Cutting was a breeze, believe it or not, because I used our big long-arm paper cutter. I didn't trust the foam double-sided adhesive pads so I slathered on a heap of hot glue on all sections, too. They've been up for over 2 years now and I couldn't be happier.

To trim the outboard edges, I went to the home center (Lowe's, etc.) and bought a length of metal threshold, cut it to length and screwed it in place. Nice clean "frame" and easy to clean, too.

I have a glass shelf, on a decorative bracket, that holds some of my cooking necessities and it was easy to put up because I could drill right through the tiles to put the brackets in place.

I had enough tiles leftover to cover the space behind my sink that is just under the kitchen window there. I even have a few more tiles, which is good in case something should happen to any of the ones already put up.

Hope the picture gives you a good idea of what I'm trying to describe.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Let me see. What have I had behind my stove in various houses:

- enameled steel
- wallpaper
- tiles
- painted wall, both latex flat and semi-gloss enamel
- glass
- Plexiglass
- metal tiles

Sheesh! That's quite a list but it's accurate.

Of all of the situations, I much prefer the metal tiles, which is what we have now. They are 4-inches square and are put up "on point." They are brushed silver-colored aluminum and they are easy to keep clean. They also provide a bit of light "magnification," if you get what I mean. That's handy.

I have spent so many years cooking and wiping up behind the stove that it finally got to me and I decided there had to be something that was nice to look at, low maintenance, easy application, and wouldn't break the bank.

I did some amount of looking around and discovered the metal tiles, I don't remember where, but learned I could buy them from Amazon. I wanted the silver finish, but they also came in copper and black. Maybe white, too. I don't remember. I ordered enough to fill the space behind my stove.

They were easy to put up. Cutting was a breeze, believe it or not, because I used our big long-arm paper cutter. I didn't trust the foam double-sided adhesive pads so I slathered on a heap of hot glue on all sections, too. They've been up for over 2 years now and I couldn't be happier.

To trim the outboard edges, I went to the home center (Lowe's, etc.) and bought a length of metal threshold, cut it to length and screwed it in place. Nice clean "frame" and easy to clean, too.

I have a glass shelf, on a decorative bracket, that holds some of my cooking necessities and it was easy to put up because I could drill right through the tiles to put the brackets in place.

I had enough tiles leftover to cover the space behind my sink that is just under the kitchen window there. I even have a few more tiles, which I good in case something should happen to any of the ones already put up.

Hope the picture gives you a good idea of what I'm trying to describe.

Ohhhh.. I like that a LOT Katie! Maybe Kathleen will too.

YOOOO HOOOO Kathleen, come out, come out, where ever you are.
;)

I love the platter, retro signs and metal tiles! Now what to decide.

Thank you all for your ideas! Some I can consider behind the sink. I think you have talked me out of the pegboard. "Crud in the holes" were the determining words of wisdom. :LOL:

The current wall is painted in enamel paint, which cleans pretty well. The size of the kitchen requires that everything needs to have a "home" otherwise it goes from "orderly" to "cluttered" in seconds. I love the glass shelf and believe that I might have a small glass shelf stored in a closet around here somewhere!

I'm leaning toward a retro sign since I can swap it out for holidays and seasons. I love the one that reads, "EAT HERE! Good Sandwiches! Special: All you can drink COFFEE!" There are people who actually pop by just for Coffee. :rolleyes:

Thank you again! Great ideas....and I do love that platter and the metal tiles! I appreciate the sharing!

Pegboard might not be such a good idea.

In order to use any hooks or brackets there needs to be a space between the wall and pegboard.

Great place for nasty's to grow. :(

Since you're planning to redo it in the future I suggest waiting until then and spend your $$$$ for a good, easy to clean surface.

Give it a good coat of paint in a color that doesn't show the splatters for now and chose an easy to clean surface when you go for the redo.

Stainless Steel and tile are behind stoves for a reason.

Spike tiled behind my stove with decorative tiles. And I love it. So easy to keep clean. He also did the backsplash at my sink. Management wasn't happy about it, but it did improve the property, so they couldn't say anything.

I like the idea of the sheet of metal backing. And you can paint it to any color of your liking. They are the old style metal sheeting used in the early 1900's and earlier for ceilings. But since they are embossed, it might prove to be a problem to keep clean. A high gloss paint will reduce the cleaning problem. :angel:

how about cooper behind the stove?
mount it to a piece of thin plywood to insure it is very flat
and a nice wood trim.

Copper Sheet, Copper Flashing, Copper Sheets, Copper Foil Rolls, Copper Sheeting for Arts and Crafts and Various Applications

So I took a look at the link. Went into the gallery and enlarged the art work by fourth graders. I am blown away! Beautiful art work that can bring in a very large sum of money. If you want to feel inept then take a look. :angel:

My plan is metal tile when I redo the back splash in my kitchen.

Speaking of redoing the kitchen, I have to say that I LOVE my custom-made ash butcher block counter tops. I know--granite, soapstone, marble are all the rage, but I LOVE my butcher block counter tops. I sealed them with food-grade mineral oil (many applications, but only 2 bottles worth). When I was processing strawberries, juice got on the counter under the basket...it sat there overnight. A quick wipe, and it was gone--no staining. Ditto when I was juicing beets the other day. Once every week, 10 days, I wipe the counter down with more mineral oil, let it sit over night and then wipe it in the morning to get any that hasn't been absorbed by the wood. It takes me all of 2 minutes to do that. I love knowing that if there are stains, a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and some mineral oil will take care of that. And, if need be, I can sand the tops down and apply mineral oil again. IKEA sells butcher block counter tops at a reasonable price if you don't have s/one who can custom make them. Bonus was that I kept the cut out from the sink--it fits over the sink and is a great cutting board.

Back
Top Bottom