"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
How about steel pegboard? It comes in a variety of colors and sizes and is inexpensive.

Work Bench Systems | Adjustable Height | 18"W x 19"H Pegboard Panel-Blue | 249286BL - GlobalIndustrial.com

My kitchen fitter wouldn't let me have hooks for hanging saucepans, utensils, etc., behind the cooker. He said it was dangerous (setting myself on fire, knocking a pan of boiling water over on yourself, etc., when I reached over the cooker to get them.)

Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
My kitchen fitter wouldn't let me have hooks for hanging saucepans, utensils, etc., behind the cooker. He said it was dangerous (setting myself on fire, knocking a pan of boiling water over on yourself, etc., when I reached over the cooker to get them.)
That's a good point.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

OMG, I love that stove!

I definitely agree that it should be something easy to wipe down.

I'm of no help here...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #24
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

There are some removable tiles that might work well...

The Smart Tiles - Decorative wall tiles & backsplash
Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Master Chef

What about a retro kitchen tin sign like one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=retr...iw=768&bih=479

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What about a retro kitchen tin sign like one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=retr...iw=768&bih=479
Ooh, yeah. That would go well with that gorgeous stove.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This one:
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Maybe granite tiles if you must. I like it the way it is. I would avoid peg board unless some one else is doing the cleaning behind the stove.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Let me see. What have I had behind my stove in various houses:

- enameled steel
- wallpaper
- tiles
- painted wall, both latex flat and semi-gloss enamel
- glass
- Plexiglass
- metal tiles

Sheesh! That's quite a list but it's accurate.

Of all of the situations, I much prefer the metal tiles, which is what we have now. They are 4-inches square and are put up "on point." They are brushed silver-colored aluminum and they are easy to keep clean. They also provide a bit of light "magnification," if you get what I mean. That's handy.

I have spent so many years cooking and wiping up behind the stove that it finally got to me and I decided there had to be something that was nice to look at, low maintenance, easy application, and wouldn't break the bank.

I did some amount of looking around and discovered the metal tiles, I don't remember where, but learned I could buy them from Amazon. I wanted the silver finish, but they also came in copper and black. Maybe white, too. I don't remember. I ordered enough to fill the space behind my stove.

They were easy to put up. Cutting was a breeze, believe it or not, because I used our big long-arm paper cutter. I didn't trust the foam double-sided adhesive pads so I slathered on a heap of hot glue on all sections, too. They've been up for over 2 years now and I couldn't be happier.

To trim the outboard edges, I went to the home center (Lowe's, etc.) and bought a length of metal threshold, cut it to length and screwed it in place. Nice clean "frame" and easy to clean, too.

I have a glass shelf, on a decorative bracket, that holds some of my cooking necessities and it was easy to put up because I could drill right through the tiles to put the brackets in place.

I had enough tiles leftover to cover the space behind my sink that is just under the kitchen window there. I even have a few more tiles, which is good in case something should happen to any of the ones already put up.

Hope the picture gives you a good idea of what I'm trying to describe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	21637  
Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Let me see. What have I had behind my stove in various houses:

- enameled steel
- wallpaper
- tiles
- painted wall, both latex flat and semi-gloss enamel
- glass
- Plexiglass
- metal tiles

Sheesh! That's quite a list but it's accurate.

Of all of the situations, I much prefer the metal tiles, which is what we have now. They are 4-inches square and are put up "on point." They are brushed silver-colored aluminum and they are easy to keep clean. They also provide a bit of light "magnification," if you get what I mean. That's handy.

I have spent so many years cooking and wiping up behind the stove that it finally got to me and I decided there had to be something that was nice to look at, low maintenance, easy application, and wouldn't break the bank.

I did some amount of looking around and discovered the metal tiles, I don't remember where, but learned I could buy them from Amazon. I wanted the silver finish, but they also came in copper and black. Maybe white, too. I don't remember. I ordered enough to fill the space behind my stove.

They were easy to put up. Cutting was a breeze, believe it or not, because I used our big long-arm paper cutter. I didn't trust the foam double-sided adhesive pads so I slathered on a heap of hot glue on all sections, too. They've been up for over 2 years now and I couldn't be happier.

To trim the outboard edges, I went to the home center (Lowe's, etc.) and bought a length of metal threshold, cut it to length and screwed it in place. Nice clean "frame" and easy to clean, too.

I have a glass shelf, on a decorative bracket, that holds some of my cooking necessities and it was easy to put up because I could drill right through the tiles to put the brackets in place.

I had enough tiles leftover to cover the space behind my sink that is just under the kitchen window there. I even have a few more tiles, which I good in case something should happen to any of the ones already put up.

Hope the picture gives you a good idea of what I'm trying to describe.
Ohhhh.. I like that a LOT Katie! Maybe Kathleen will too.

YOOOO HOOOO Kathleen, come out, come out, where ever you are.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote