"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Cupcake

Backsplash Ideas beyond Tile

I need to do some minor upgrades in the kitchen (until I'm really ready to bite the big bullet for a total kitchen makeover.) Plus, I love my huge old stove and keep waiting for someone who can refurbish it to move to the area.

My kitchen is really small and I have a small wall fan for ventilation. I want *something* behind my stove and I would prefer something other than tile. My two thoughts were pegboard (with all thanks given to Julia Child) or a retro-looking metal sign (Breakfast Served All-Day!)

With the pegboard, I could paint it with contrast paint. With the sign, I could simply take it down and scrub it.

That being said, I'm open to other ideas. What's behind your stove???

Here is a picture of the area and my beloved Caloric stove.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Pic.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	21609  

Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
what about some pressed tin? Homedepot has some great looking stuff, cheap too.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Master Chef

I just love your vintage stove Kathleen. I thought this was a really cute idea, with using a vintage print vinyl tablecloth........check it out...

Budget Backsplash Project: Vintage Vinyl : Home Improvement : DIY Network

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I need to do some minor upgrades in the kitchen (until I'm really ready to bite the big bullet for a total kitchen makeover.) Plus, I love my huge old stove and keep waiting for someone who can refurbish it to move to the area.

My kitchen is really small and I have a small wall fan for ventilation. I want *something* behind my stove and I would prefer something other than tile. My two thoughts were pegboard (with all thanks given to Julia Child) or a retro-looking metal sign (Breakfast Served All-Day!)

With the pegboard, I could paint it with contrast paint. With the sign, I could simply take it down and scrub it.

That being said, I'm open to other ideas. What's behind your stove???

Here is a picture of the area and my beloved Caloric stove.

Glass - both plain and decorative - is popular over here at the moment and it's easy to clean.

I have black tiles - b-a-d mistake. They show every splish and splash!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Honey Badger

The back splash behind my stove is tile.Just above it is a really tacky looking strawberry wallpaper.It hurts my eyes to look at it.

Home Depot has a large selection of contact paper.Measure, cut.If it doesn't apply right the first time you can peel it back and redo it.

I just redid a craft table using it.I only needed the top to be covered.Something that if I spilled ink on it could easily be wiped away.
The nice thing with contact paper you can use it on the walls and peel off later if you want without it removing the paint.I've done that in high kid traffic areas where they're always touching the walls.If it stained it wasn't a big deal because it was a cheaper alternative to wallpaper and paint.

When I was a kid we would cover our school books with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like it the way it is.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I was thinking tin tiles. However, you could take a piece of glass and paint the back of it or apply wrapping paper, tissue paper, etc. It could be cut to fit and then a frame put around it for mounting it to the wall. Easy to clean, or you could do something retro (a piece of retro fabric, some retro tea towels, adhere them to the wall and then put the glass over them).
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

Pegboard might not be such a good idea.

In order to use any hooks or brackets there needs to be a space between the wall and pegboard.

Great place for nasty's to grow.

Since you're planning to redo it in the future I suggest waiting until then and spend your $$$$ for a good, easy to clean surface.

Give it a good coat of paint in a color that doesn't show the splatters for now and chose an easy to clean surface when you go for the redo.

Stainless Steel and tile are behind stoves for a reason.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Backsplash Ideas beyond Tile

My mom had a laminated Monet print as a backsplash. You could do a wine cork basketweave pattern in a frame, then pin up anything you want, or spray it with clear lacquer to make it water resistant. I have a huge bulletin board I made like that years ago.

My current backsplash is a piece of sheet metal that I spray painted. Cleans up very easily.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would get an appropriate sized piece of plywood and put a china/porcelain mosaic on it, made from broken plates from Goodwill. Odd patterns that match my color scheme. Once the mosaic is on, grout it.