Bar Keeper's Friend vs. Bon Ami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had pretty good luck rubbing in a small amount of Dawn type (grease buster) dish detergent on stains.

I figure if Dawn Dish Washing Liquid can cut through the crude oil from a spill off the backs of wildlife, it is more than likely to cut through common household stains. Plus for every bottle you buy, Dawn donates one dollar to the wildlife fund to help clean up the damage to affected animals. Win/Win! :angel:

I use concentrated Dawn for dishes. It is a little more expensive than some brands but I find that I use much less to get the job done.

For pots and pans I use BKF and Cameo.

The one ingredient missing from all three is elbow grease! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Bon Ami always reminds me of the Don Knotts movie "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken".

(Mrs. Natalie Miller): Well, they say there are still bloodstains on the organ keys...

(Mrs. Hutchinson): That's right; they've never been able to get them off.

(Mrs. Cobb): And they used Bon-Ami! :LOL:

Last edited:
Hey there, Aunt Bea. It seems that you, me and Addie are up early this morning.

I posted a recipe for the ham and sweet potatoes that I'd appreciate your comments on. I really want to make a ham and sweet potato casserole of some sort, especially now that I have diabetes, I can't make one with white potatoes. Sweet potatoes taste better any way.

I've been trying many different home recipies for my laundry stains, but to no avail NOTHING is working. I make my own detergent with Washing Soda, Borax, & Fels Naptha Soap. I REALLY like it for the wash. But for the stains on our families clothes I can't seem to find ANYTING natural that works! I have tried Peroxide, vinegar, washing soda, lemmon juice, and borax mixes. I've tried overnight soaking, 30 min pre-treats, making pastes to scrub before laundering and nothing is working, and I even use vinegar with 2-5 drops of Sweet Orange Essential oil in my rinse water.

I've done research on line and found that BKF, Bon Ami, and Oxi- Boost seem to be the most popular. But it appears that BKF is not 100% natural since it contains oxalic acid(don't know what that is, but researchers say its a chemical). Bon Ami only contains egg shells(all natural, but less abrasive).

So after looking online, both BKF and BA are available on Amazon.com for around $4(which includes shipping), but my local hardware store sells it for $1.99 ea. I will buy them both to see which works better.

I was hoping to get some advice if anyone has tried the Bon Ami vs. BKF for laundry stains, how harmful is the oxalic acid, if the BKF works better and I end up using it instead of the BA. Thanks!!

Nothing in my and I bring simply to the cross I cling.... Have a blessed day everyone!:chef:
Can't comment on B-A as it isn't available here buy I do use BKF which is very useful. However, you asked about oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is the poison found in rhubarb leaves (among other things) and is very good on certain stains. If you use it directly on stains you need to take careful precautions.

In BKF it's somewhat "diluted" but you should still take care.

If you like making your own cleaning products you may find the following interesting.

For stains on metal (not silver or anything valuable) you really can't beat horsetail (Equisetum arvense). It's a pernicious, invasive weed in gardens so get your own back and make it work for you.

It's full of silica and was used traditionally to scour pans to a high shine and as a fine ‘sand paper’ for polishing wood. After gathering it leave it in the sun for an hour or so before tying together and using. Wear gloves when scouring because the silica can make the horsetail sharp.

You can also make a spray to kill mildew by simmering half and half fresh horsetail to water (or 25/75 dried plant) for 5 minutes then leave to cool and "stew" for at least 6 hours before straining and using in a spray bottle.

If you have leather with mildew on it (eg horse equipment or badly stored shoes) the following will be useful. I renovate old leather side saddles and these sometimes come to me white with mildew. I use a very old method of dealing with this and it really does work.

Buy some pine oil (find it in the health food shop). Mix 1 teaspoon of oil to 1 pint of comfortably warm water (ie 5ml oil to 1/2 a litre of warm water). Use a sponge squeezed out in this solution and use to remove the mildew/mould. When the nasties are removed wipe over with a clean damp cloth and allow to dry. When the leather is perfectly dry, oil with a leather lubricator made for saddles or neatsfoot oil and allow it to soak in well. Repeat if really necessary but don't let the leather get slimey and sodden with oil. Never use saddle soap or shoe polish directly on mildew on leather as you will "feed" it and seal it in making matters worse.

Be careful in handling the oil as pine oil is a very strong disinfectant and can cause skin irritation and is poisonous if swallowed. Keep it in a safe place away from children and animals

(Having given the above advice for dealing with mildew let me give you advice on keeping it at bay in the future. When routinely cleaning your tack spit in the saddle soap to damp it rather than using water. This sounds crazy and disgusting but saliva has an enzyme in it which deters mildew. Generations of horsemen and grooms have done this and I promise you it DOES work!)

If you have brass or copper which is badly discoloured through lack of cleaning use half a lemon dipped in coarse salt to clean off the discolouration and rinse and dry item. When dry polish with your usual brass or copper polish and you'll have lovely shine. My Victorian copper kettle was black with age when I rescued it from my grandmother's attic. It's lovely now

Last edited by a moderator:
MC, thanks for those tips. Maybe you should copy them into the "Tips for the Home and Kitchen" thread. It will be easier to find when I need to look up those methods.

Air contains chemicals, as does water

Hi there. I noticed that you've asserted that air contains chemicals. I was hoping that you could elaborate on that. Which chemicals exactly?

:) A "chemical" by itself is not necessarily harmful, but can be in large amounts.

Does this same axiom also apply to elements?

Check out oxalic acid on Wikipedia. It occurs naturally in many fruits and vegetables; you would have to eat pounds of it for it to be harmful.

So does it follow that it's safe to eat Bar Keeper's Friend®?

Hi there. I noticed that you've asserted that air contains chemicals. I was hoping that you could elaborate on that. Which chemicals exactly?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryfaqs/f/aircomposition.htm

Does this same axiom also apply to elements?

Some, not all.

So does it follow that it's safe to eat Bar Keeper's Friend®?

Perhaps you'd like to conduct an experiment and report back to us.

Oh, welcome to DC. We are a friendly community.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom