"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Basami scissors around the kitchen?

I understand that Basami scissors are not much useful for cutting through hard objects like Tetra cartons perhaps, but are very accurate and exquisite for food presentation techniques.

I admire them because they have no moving parts, fashioned from a single piece of metal, have a simplicity about them I always look for in tools whenever possible.

I wonder though, being exclusively made from steel, does anybody use them around their kitchen, how does one prevent them succumbing to corrosion?

hueberttix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Do they look like thread scissors used in sewing?

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I question kitchen use for this style of scissors, but care for them would be no different than a steel knife. Wash and carefully dry them immediately after use.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

That's my concern, I don't want to have to be that diligent.

I have a pairing knife, but I just hate to use knives on anything by foodstuffs.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't do anything in the kitchen that's fussy enough to need scissors like that. More power to you.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueberttix View Post
That's my concern, I don't want to have to be that diligent.

I have a pairing knife, but I just hate to use knives on anything by foodstuffs.

Then I'd suggest you opt for shears designed for the kitchen and easy cleaning like these.

https://www.amazon.com/TANSUNG-Multi...=kitchen+shear

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've used them on precision electronic things like connestors/wiring; and for, well, nosehair...

So, yeah, keep 'em clean and dry.

Both.

Well, all three.

Electronics, nose, and kitchen work.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Then I'd suggest you opt for shears designed for the kitchen and easy cleaning like these.

https://www.amazon.com/TANSUNG-Multi...=kitchen+shear
Yeah, I really prefer that kitchen scissors can come apart for cleaning.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

I appreciate the recommendation, but through my eyes those things look like a steam-powered iPod.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Master Chef

Having looked them up I can see a use for them but, as someone else said, for sewing, but why the kitchen? There are plenty of kitchen scissors available which do their thing efficiently. It occurs to me that they might, at a pinch, be OK for very precise work but for taking the rind off bacon... I don't think so. And if they are carbon steel they will be a nightmare to care for. I have a, now little used, expensive carbon steel knife which I bought nearly 50 years ago when I first started serious cooking in my own kitchen. I believed Elizabeth David on the matter of knives. I was told that it was the bees-knees in the serious cook's kitchen. It is a wonderful knife but it rusts if it's just feeling fed up, I have to clean the rust off it before every usage, it won't go in the dish-washer and it blunts just to annoy me.

Anyway, how often do we do precise scissor work in the kitchen? I use a craft knife (such as an Exacto knife) to cut precise shapes for decorating cakes etc., and after I've finished I put the knife back in my crafting box. (I do, of course, wash it well before using it in the kitchen )

Most of us have things consigned to our junk drawer that seemed like a good idea at the time. Still, perhaps you need to try it for yourself. They look relatively cheap on Amazon so have a go if you really want to.

Tags
kitchen