"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Does anyone else have enamelware pans? A number of years ago, they were the rage. So easy to wash. But then even the smallest amount of abuse, the enamel started to show chips and dings. For the price of Le Cruset, I wonder if it too develops dings and chipping.
I love my LC enameled CI. I do not have any problem with chips or dings. My LC French oven is my favorite piece of cookware. It gets a ton of use and is still in the same condition as the day I got it.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yes, but the cooking surface is not enameled so I would need to season right? Only the outside of the pan is enameled.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
No. That's not a rule for a well seasoned pan. Hot water and soap are fine.
Not too much soap I would think. I may use a tiny drop of dish soap. I use my small cast iron skillet to make gringo taco meat. Since it tends to retain the spicy taco mix flavoring, I fill the skillet with water and bring it to a boil and then use a standard dish brush to scour it. I may add a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid, but am wary of using too much as it may degrade the built up carbon layer.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

The cooking surface is black enamel, it's not exposed cast iron (which is grey) no seasoning required.

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookwa..._20002_10064__

Is this your pan?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The cooking surface is black enamel, it's not exposed cast iron (which is grey) no seasoning required.

Le Creuset - Product Information: 9" Iron Handle Skillet

Is this your pan?
With a durable satin black interior enamel and brilliant exterior enamel, the Iron Handle Skillet is protected inside and out

So now what is the next step to her saving this very expensive pan? Our newest member needs our help and I am at a loss. They didn't have these fancy pans when I was growing up. You just prayed and hoped that you could get your hands on Grandma's before anyone else when she passed.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
With a durable satin black interior enamel and brilliant exterior enamel, the Iron Handle Skillet is protected inside and out

So now what is the next step to her saving this very expensive pan? Our newest member needs our help and I am at a loss. They didn't have these fancy pans when I was growing up. You just prayed and hoped that you could get your hands on Grandma's before anyone else when she passed.
If that is the pan she has then the next step is to start enjoying the pan. No need for any additional steps.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think what surprises me the most is the fact that she didn't have a grease fire in the oven. According to her original post, she put a lot of corn oil in the pan and placed the pan in a very hot oven. I can just see that oil boiling in the oven. Surely she had an angel looking over her shoulder.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It might be time to call Le Creust support 1-877-CREUSET (273-8738).
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
It might be time to call Le Creust support 1-877-CREUSET (273-8738).
Excellent suggestion. Hopefull they may suggest that she return the pan to them and they will replace it with a new one with printed instructions on how to care for it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:

Yep that's exactly it. This is my first experience with cast iron so it's a trial and error endeavor...

I think the skillet is OK since I just degreased it and it looks new again. Will try it this weekend and see if anything sticks.

I read some comments on this site Should I season my new Le Creuset cast iron skillet and grill pan? - Cookware - Chowhound and some of them are saying they get better results after seasoning.

Tags
seasoning